Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-no-quilt-police-how-many-you-dont-care-what-color-thread-t218159.html)

kaelynangelfoot 04-03-2013 11:46 AM

I typically just use white for lights or black for darks.

toolazy 04-03-2013 11:53 AM

Guilty! LOL . I have a lot of thread, silly not to use it up.

mighty 04-03-2013 12:16 PM

I use cream mine. Have several large cones and figure it will be ok since it does not show and is good thread.

quiltstringz 04-03-2013 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by loisf (Post 5975365)
I have four Aurifil 50 weight threads that I use for all piecing - white, black, grey and tan. It makes thinner seams that iron flatter than the heavier threads. I love it. Truth be told, I'm sure you could choose either the grey or tan and piece everything with it, but I use a lot of white or black sashing and backgrounds, so I perfer the white and black too.

I have the same 4 colors although I use mostly gray. However when I first started piecing (after years of other sewing) I used up most of my colored thread - not matching them to the fabric but just using them up.

quiltin-nannie 04-03-2013 12:22 PM

I use cream, white, and grey with everything that I sew.I

KalamaQuilts 04-03-2013 12:24 PM

The only time it would make a difference is if you like your seams on the loose side. Many quilters do, because they are a lot quicker to rip out if necessary; and paper piecing, sometimes when you take the paper out it leaves the seam thread visible.

I think the matching thread idea comes from fashion sewing, and probably is important for a nicely finished project.

Yesterday I was sewing dark brown and light pink patches, today I'm sewing black and cream Asian prints together. Really now, how can you match threads? I just bump my stitch length down 2 notches.

The 'quilt police' only live in our own minds.

peaceandjoy 04-03-2013 12:27 PM

Although I am brand picky (Aurifil, but going to give Presencia a try), after that all bets are off. A couple of years ago, I bought a "Door Crasher" from Tricia's when they were still carrying Aurifil 50 wt. The spools ranged from the taupe I normally use to something like a dusty peach. As it ended up being something like $6 a spool for the large spools, I bought it and have been happily using it since.

Jingle 04-03-2013 12:46 PM

I try to use light on light --dark on dark. Sometimes I put light pieces and dark pieces together, then I use dark.

ube quilting 04-03-2013 01:27 PM

I do use whatever. I stll have thread from my DM & DS from over twenty years ago that I am still using up to piece my quilts. It's kind of nice to know some of my mom and sister are in the quilts I make. I mostly make scrappy quilts at this time so it really doesn't matter what color or size.

For special quilts I do like to use Aruifil in a medium gray (#50). It just disappears in most fabric.
peace

sandyquilts 04-03-2013 02:06 PM

I use med gray or tanish no matter what for piecing.