Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-no-quilt-police-how-many-you-dont-care-what-color-thread-t218159.html)

QuiltnNan 04-03-2013 02:06 PM

i use white prewounds for most of my quilts

GrannieAnnie 04-03-2013 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Teeler (Post 5975329)
My first quilt (the chicken one) I did buy coordinating thread...but then I realized I had a ton of full bobbins (and not one empty one) of every other color thread I already owned. I started using them all up, and except for the outside quilting thread that I made sure was a coordinating neutral...it just didn't seem to matter one iota what color thread was holding the whole thing together on the inside. I'm pretty sure that from here on out, unless it's a 'special' project, I'm not going to worry about anything other than whether the thread needs to be dark or light for any given project.

Any other rogue players out there using up whatever's hanging about and not worrying about matching your project?

I don't get too wild with bobbin thread colors-------generally stay in the same color group---------like pink with red. Generally speaking, I've been sewing with just a few basic colors---------white, dark beige, red, navy, black.

Buckeye Rose 04-03-2013 03:05 PM

I realized the same thing and used up all my full bobbins ;) unless it would show through on a white or light fabric

joyce888 04-03-2013 03:27 PM

When I sewed clothing I always matched the thread. Started doing the same when quilting but after a few years and a new machine I found I could use the basics, dark grey, light grey, beige, or cream. I've not had one problem with thread showing thru. I did stop using black on black because of how hard it was to see if I had to rip stitches.

Tothill 04-03-2013 04:00 PM

20+ years ago I was at my local fabric store and one lady was buying a whole box of Mettler 803 grey cotton thread. When I asked why she said it was all she used for piecing quilts. It is a nice light grey that seams to match a lot of other colours.

sandy l 04-04-2013 03:00 AM

When I worked in the costume shop at a local university, we used 4 colors. Red, white, black and grey. So I sort of got use to using just a few colors and still do that with my quilting.

judylg 04-04-2013 03:30 AM

When I started quilting I changed my thread color with each project I started. Accumulating a lot of thread. I have changed in my thinking, I use white or off white and have black, but I still have all of the other colors. Now I am going to start using them up in piecing. I have found even with quilting, that I use a neutral thread, it does not seem worth it to me to buy matching thread. And I do as someone else mentioned, load up 4 or more bobbins, less frustrating when I am sewing and have to change bobbin.

RonieM 04-04-2013 04:08 AM

When it comes to piecing, it doesn't matter to me what color thread is in the machine. Quilting is a different story - top and bottom threads match.

RV Quilter 04-04-2013 04:09 AM

I use a medium gray for all my piecing.

QM 04-04-2013 04:19 AM

I am careful to avoid things that might show up, (like contrasting reds). An otherwise very cautious friend does almost all her block sewing in violet. Another friend used beige or grey for almost everything inside a quilt. I definitely use up bobbins to get the job done. If you were aiming to make one of the top quilts of the century, this might not be a great idea. Otherwise, just enjoy the process and product and please yourself.