Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there something wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-something-wrong-t139162.html)

Lavada 07-22-2011 04:01 AM

I MAKE QUILTS SIMPLY BECAUSE NOT HARD TO GIVE AWAY THERE ARE LOTS OF OTHERS WHO NEED THEM TO KEEP WARM ON A COLD NIGHT

grann of 6 07-22-2011 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
Is there something wrong with just making a quilt because you like the pattern. When I start a new quilt my DH asks, "Who gets that one"? Does it have to be for someone special? I don't have a lot of space to store quilts. It seems that he thinks that I need to give away a quilt as soon as it's done or have a time limit when it will go. Is it selfish to just want to make them? Do they always have to go? Thanks for your replies. BrendaK

I like this topic. I have been having fun making the jelly roll quilts, and scrappy quilts just to play and be non-thinking. Several people have asked me what I am going to do with them. They thought it strange that I didn't have a specific plan for them. This is the first time in my quilting life that I have made something without a definite plan for it. I like just looking at them and admiring my work. I am new at long arm quilting so they have been my practice "canvasses". Maybe someday they will have a home other than mine, but right now they are MINE.

karon21195 07-22-2011 04:13 AM

Just tell him the truth.

katiebear1 07-22-2011 04:13 AM

I have only been quilting for 2 years. I made all the family a birthday quilt (10 in total) and since then I have been making for me.. I have three displayed on wall in my den,five in the living room and three on beds. I also have three on a quilt rack. Not sure where I will put the resy I will make probably change them out with the ones on display. :)

Marge L. 07-22-2011 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Your DH sounds waaaay too practical!! He doesn't appear to "get" our love of creating.
Keep on!! :D

My DH had the bad habit of expecting me to give a quilt away (which I intended it to be a "me" quilt), when someone admired a quilt and stated they wish they had one like it. I finally had to inform him, in front of the admirer, "no" it is mine. Always had to remind him later not to try giving my things away. If I wanted to do that, I would initiate the giving. Marge L.

Latrinka 07-22-2011 04:31 AM

I say nope, nuttin wrong with that!

AnnT 07-22-2011 04:36 AM

I love to make things just because I want to see how they turn out. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

davis2se 07-22-2011 04:48 AM

My husband almost always says "what are you going to do with another quilt?" I just smile and say that I'm going to enjoy making it, and since I will be happy during the process, chances are he will be too! He gets it.

Tinabodina 07-22-2011 04:56 AM

I don't even have 1 of my quilts I have made....DH asks me the same question. I do have a top I have finished and it will go on our bed. :D You are not alone.

EskapetheNorm 07-22-2011 04:58 AM

I make quilts because I like the pattern ... but by the time I am done, there is usually somebody or someplace that I have discovered needs it. Figure I am creating good karma if nothing else.