Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a such thing as...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-such-thing-t143217.html)

DannyValentine 08-06-2011 07:29 PM

I work at Michael's and tonight as I was working on reshop I can across a really pretty piece of scrapbook paper. I bought it and an exacto knife and was contemplating making a stencil out of it. My question is is there such a thing as an exacto knife for fabric? I'd really like to make a pattern for an applique out of this paper.

JulieR 08-06-2011 07:31 PM

I use an old rotary cutter for this. Would that work?

kheliwud 08-06-2011 07:31 PM

The best thing would be the small size of rotary cutter. I haven't seen an exacto for fabric....

jaciqltznok 08-06-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by DannyValentine
I work at Michael's and tonight as I was working on reshop I can across a really pretty piece of scrapbook paper. I bought it and an exacto knife and was contemplating making a stencil out of it. My question is is there such a thing as an exacto knife for fabric? I'd really like to make a pattern for an applique out of this paper.

if you iron it onto freezer paper, I think a regular exacto knife will the do the job! Just cut on the paper side...and be sure a cutting mat is under the fabric!

GrannieAnnie 08-06-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

if you iron it onto freezer paper, I think a regular exacto knife will the do the job! Just cut on the paper side...and be sure a cutting mat is under the fabric!

Hummmmmmmmm, sounds like that's at least worth a try.
(don't own exacto knife--------yet!)

craftybear 08-06-2011 07:42 PM

great tip, thanks

DannyValentine 08-06-2011 07:54 PM

Thanks. The thought had crossed my mind about the freezer paper.

Scissor Queen 08-06-2011 07:59 PM

I took a class from Linda Everhart and she teaches an interesting technique using a Havel surgical blade seam ripper to cut out the appliques with.

jaciqltznok 08-06-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I took a class from Linda Everhart and she teaches an interesting technique using a Havel surgical blade seam ripper to cut out the appliques with.

ha..you are right...I knew I had seen somebody do it...

ckcowl 08-07-2011 02:42 AM

DONT USE YOUR SELF HEALING MAT WHEN USING AN EXACTO KNIFE!!! USE A REGUALAR CUTTING BOARD- IT WILL RUIN YOUR SELF-HEALING MATS WHICH ARE MADE FOR ROTORY CUTTERS---A CUT FROM A REGUALAR KNIFE WILL BE A COSTLY MISTAKE.