Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a such thing as...... >

Is there a such thing as......

Is there a such thing as......

Old 08-06-2011, 07:29 PM

I work at Michael's and tonight as I was working on reshop I can across a really pretty piece of scrapbook paper. I bought it and an exacto knife and was contemplating making a stencil out of it. My question is is there such a thing as an exacto knife for fabric? I'd really like to make a pattern for an applique out of this paper.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM

I use an old rotary cutter for this. Would that work?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM

The best thing would be the small size of rotary cutter. I haven't seen an exacto for fabric....
Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DannyValentine
I work at Michael's and tonight as I was working on reshop I can across a really pretty piece of scrapbook paper. I bought it and an exacto knife and was contemplating making a stencil out of it. My question is is there such a thing as an exacto knife for fabric? I'd really like to make a pattern for an applique out of this paper.
if you iron it onto freezer paper, I think a regular exacto knife will the do the job! Just cut on the paper side...and be sure a cutting mat is under the fabric!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
if you iron it onto freezer paper, I think a regular exacto knife will the do the job! Just cut on the paper side...and be sure a cutting mat is under the fabric!
Hummmmmmmmm, sounds like that's at least worth a try.
(don't own exacto knife--------yet!)
Old 08-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Google Goddess

great tip, thanks

Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Thanks. The thought had crossed my mind about the freezer paper.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 PM

I took a class from Linda Everhart and she teaches an interesting technique using a Havel surgical blade seam ripper to cut out the appliques with.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I took a class from Linda Everhart and she teaches an interesting technique using a Havel surgical blade seam ripper to cut out the appliques with.
ha..you are right...I knew I had seen somebody do it...
Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

DONT USE YOUR SELF HEALING MAT WHEN USING AN EXACTO KNIFE!!! USE A REGUALAR CUTTING BOARD- IT WILL RUIN YOUR SELF-HEALING MATS WHICH ARE MADE FOR ROTORY CUTTERS---A CUT FROM A REGUALAR KNIFE WILL BE A COSTLY MISTAKE.