Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   There are times it just won't work! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-times-just-wont-work-t222775.html)

lclang 06-03-2013 04:37 AM

Sometimes you can rescue the offending project and use it for something else (dog bed?). Or maybe the quilting gadget you got is not good for it's intended purpose but is it good for something else? If not, the trash can awaits!

GailG 06-03-2013 04:43 AM

When I purged my room of clothing sewing projects, I bagged individually each unfinished project with the pattern, etc. Labeled it well and dropped all at Goodwill. I won't know what happened to it, so what I don't know doesn't hurt. Someone may find something like that a treasure. Or they may just discard it at the get go. All I know is that it's not taking up space in my closet and it's not pressing on my mind with guilt feelings.

SueSew 06-03-2013 04:48 AM

Ego? Can't admit we goofed? Same reason I stuck with my louse of a first husband for 7 years? LOL

Since I studied accounting I now know the principle of 'sunk cost' - you already blew the dough on something not worth it, so don't waste more money. Unload it for free or sell it.

Unfortunately I sometimes still spend time and money trying to make something which simply WON'T WORK become workable.

Pitch it!

yorkie luv 06-03-2013 05:18 AM

I have to tell myself that same thing. about food. We were taught to clean our plates, not to waste. BUT You don't need to eat it all just because you paid for it. It's is gone no matter if you eat it or throw it out. why eat those extra calories.

ccthomas 06-03-2013 05:45 AM

GUILT attaches to our core. What works for me is GIVING. I give in love in hope that someone will find a use, an enjoyment, and it RELEASES me to move on. IT WORKS.

abdconsultant 06-03-2013 05:49 AM

This past year I have averaged $100.00 per week taking "stuff" to the resale shop, and I donate after that. Now that is making me very satisfied and the clutter and boxes are flying outta here!

chaskaquilter 06-03-2013 05:49 AM

I have been an executor to two estates. I now keep that horrifying experience in my mind and try to keep things down to a minimum so my wonderful kids and grandkids won't have to dispose of too much stuff when the time comes.

Glenda Kay 06-03-2013 06:16 AM

I was also raised not to waste anything. It is hard to break the habit. I have fabric that I don't particularly like & will never use that was given to me by aunts but I still hang on to them. I've been getting a little better at getting rid of them. I have started giving them to my 8 yr. old identical twin granddaughters. They use them for wraps & covers for their stuffed animals. This keeps the fabrics in the family.

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6098574)
I don't know about you, but I was raised to not "waste" anything. Makes it hard to throw things away that "might come in handy someday".

However I'm getting better about passing things on to someone who can use them or if it turned out to be a piece of junk instead of something useful, to actually go on and throw it away.

Good luck to you doing the same!

Sarint 06-03-2013 06:44 AM

Yeah, I inherited the waste not gene from my depression era family. We washed out cellophane bread wrappers and reused them. Worn clothes (100 % cotton back then) became play clothes, then car wash & dust rags, and finally shop rags, etc. By the time a scrap of fabric was thrown away it was thread bare and soaked in motor oil. It's hard for me to throw away my scraps from a project. If something isn't working I often stitch it together, stuff it with old socks/fabric scraps and make a dog or cat bed. If you don't have pets, you can donate beds to the local shelter.

southernmema 06-03-2013 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6098602)
I almost never got to marry my DH. The boat he was on took on water. His friend suggested he switch places. That friend went down with the boat. This was in the Gulf of Mexico. He was floating in that water for almost 20 hours. We appreciate everything and don't sweat the small stuff. If it makes you pout throw it out.

Love your saying, "If it make you pout, throw it out". It reminds me of one I've used almost all my life. "If it doubt, do without!" Somehow these simplify situations that might otherwise be complicated.