Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   There are times it just won't work! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-times-just-wont-work-t222775.html)

Friday1961 06-03-2013 07:17 AM

Life lessons! I agree, move on.

When I first began quilting and thought I had to be obsessed with the 1/4 seam, I bought one of those plastic see through jobs that tape down on your machine to enable you to get the seam width just right. Or wait....maybe it was a guide for HSTs. Whichever, I've never used it and never will. I'm a long time experienced sewer/dressmaker and should have known better but when you are new to a particular hobby, you think you have to avail yourself of things that will "help" you master it. Just be grateful if your cost for those unnecessary "helps" was small, as mine have been.

I have a hard time throwing things away (raised by parents who lived through the Depression does that to you) but I've thrown bad projects away, fabric and all, and useless tools, and hope I will again, rather than keeping them around in my way, thinking I may either "fix" or use them someday. Liberation, it's wonderful!

quiltmom04 06-03-2013 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 (Post 6098627)
Accountants have a term for this "sunk cost". You've already spent the money. But just because you've spent money doesn't always mean you have to continue spending money to make something work. So there - it's an official business term!!

Sometimes it is best to just let it go and move on to another project! Hope the next one is better suited to you!

I would think that 'sunk cost' could apply to time, too? I see a lot of that on this board. Sort of " I inherited ( was given, found, bought for a dollar - take your pick) this butt ugly polyester fabric. What can I do with it?" Why waste your valuable time trying to make something work just because it was cheap? If you love it BECASUE it's cheap, go for it, but otherwise - get rid of the fabric and the guilt!

c joyce 06-03-2013 08:09 AM

My operating theory - yes, it is something that is still good and useful but not to me - donate to a charity so it can go live at some else's house.

IBQUILTIN 06-03-2013 08:55 AM

I adopted that philosophy some time ago, and my sewing room is sewwwwwwwwww much easier to find things that I need. Fabric, no, I haven't had the courage yet. That piece might fit in an applique or maybe a papar pieced spot. But, I'm learning, and getting better at it. Thanx for the fun post as a reminder

Sandrea 06-03-2013 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6098625)
I was also raised to not waste anything - to make do - to wear it out - to 'keep something for good' -

me too.....hard to break that habit.

Sandrea 06-03-2013 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiger (Post 6098671)
I used to make clothes for my family several years ago. There were a couple projects that just would not work at all for some reason. After some thought, I simply threw the project into the wastebasket, pattern and all! It may have been wasteful, but I sure felt much better after that. Life is too short....

Oh how I wish I could do that. I've tried to do that but it seems everytime I throw something out that I don't think I will ever use, a month or so later I come up with something I needed that for and I've thrown it away. Then I end up buying it again. Oh, how I wish I could be like you.

Sandrea 06-03-2013 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by KarenK (Post 6099276)
"Why do we think we need to hang on to an item when it is no longer a benefit to us?"

In my life, it's a carryover from grandparents and parents who experienced the Depression. They held onto everything possible that came their way because there was precious little money to just go buy something. We've all heard the saying - "Use up, wear out, make do, or do without."

I was talking with a dear friend last week about how long it's taking us to downsize. She said, it's interesting, during our working years we collect stuff, then we spend our retirement getting rid of it. LOL

We change, we grow, and what we once wanted, we want no longer. I just donated 4 boxes of stuff to a resale shop, 1 box of fabric and 1 bag of yarn to the Senior Center. I think of it as "freeing it up to the universe" so someone else may find something they can use or perhaps find a treasure.

Oh, so well written. Loved your comment how we collect while working and spend our retirement getting rid of it. I am going through that very thing right now. I say "why in the world did I buy this??" tee hee

jbj137 06-03-2013 11:21 AM

Sometimes this just happens and you can do nothing about it.

petthefabric 06-03-2013 01:52 PM

US is the most wealthy country and we buy whatever we want at the time. I think that's called greedy. Then as we become more realistic we spend time and money getting rid of it. Many times I've read-give it to charity. I think this is placating our guilt. I'll admit it. When I had plenty of money I bought way more than I needed-I was greedy. That has been pruned out of my life by grace and regeneration. Now I'm free to be the person I can be and I've started using my creative abilities. What freedom!
What to do with the excess? I've started teaching and use some of it in my classes. Maybe I'll give fat quarters to students 1)who need the most encouragement, 2)improved the most, 3)enjoyed the class the most, 4)the newest to quilting. I let friends shop in my stash. Recently a friend needed some batiks to complete value/color runs 2 1/2" strips. She's got 1 1/4 yds of my fabrics and we're both happier. And had a good time doing it together, traded fabric for experiences with friends.

Foot Note: I saw only US locations admitting to having too large a stash. How about UK, Canada, Aus, NZ, S America, C America..... or other?

palmetto girl 06-03-2013 03:46 PM

Why is it as soon as you discard something then you find a need for it? It always seems to happen to me.