Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To those of you who sew and don't work. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-you-who-sew-dont-work-t222901.html)

DebraK 06-03-2013 10:13 AM

yep. I don't force myself to sew. I am in my room everyday only because I want to be. Some days are more productive than others, but none of the time is forced or wasted. I just like being there.

mckwilter 06-03-2013 10:29 AM

I work outside the home and sew when I can. There are many days (both weekdays and weekends) when I wake up at 4:00 a.m. and can't get back to sleep, so I sew. I would prefer to sew in the evenings, but life / home / family get in the way. I just had a week of vacation, and I got 2 WIP tops finished, worked on two different hand applique projects, got the last block of a fusible applique done, started 2 new fusible applique projects and sewed 2 pillowcases. All in all, I had a great time.

Chasing Hawk 06-03-2013 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6101647)
yep. I don't force myself to sew. I am in my room everyday only because I want to be. Some days are more productive than others, but none of the time is forced or wasted. I just like being there.

Same here, some days I sew and some days all I do is piddle around with different crafts while I am in my sewing room.

kaelynangelfoot 06-03-2013 01:22 PM

To those of you who sew and don't need to work, you are very blessed and I hope to achieve that sort of nirvana at some point in my life. Congrats!

Jingle 06-03-2013 01:34 PM

I work full time and sew in the evenings and on week ends. I haven't been burned out yet.
I have alot of quilts I want to make. I don't plan on slowing down any time soon.

Nilla 06-03-2013 01:34 PM

I don't work outside the home, but I don't sew every day. I have many other things in my life that keep me busy, most of them fun. I probably at least walk into either my sewing room or my long arm room every day to make plans, dream, think about new projects etc. Once in a while I'll spend nearly a whole day sewing, but I like to make a point of getting out to exercise every day, so I make myself stop every so often.

0tis 06-03-2013 01:38 PM

I am lucky that I don't have to work outside the home either - I spend most days in my sewing room (you would think it was spotless -not) some days I sew and some days I just cruise the internet. I do go through those slump periods too - but when I do have to take a day off to run errands or gasp! do housework - I am so excited to spend the next day in my sewing room. I do make a little bit of money from my sewing - just enough to supplement my fabric addiction. I love it.

Jackie Spencer 06-03-2013 01:51 PM

I retired almost 5 years ago. If I am home I am in my sewing room. Two days a week I clean houses, one day a week I have lunch with my daughter, and of course church on Sun. I have been quilting since 1976. I have never gotten bored or burnt out. Making quilts is my passion. As soon as I finish one, I start another. I have an enormous stash, and I would much rather leave my 3 daughters and 10 grandchildren, a stack of quilt tops, than a mound of fabrics. I do send some out to be quilted, but can't afford to do them all. I used to hand quilt, and still do small projects, but large quilts take too long. I am so blessed to be able to spend as much time as I want doing what I love.

thanneaKS 06-03-2013 02:13 PM

I'm pretty much retired. I do some substitute teaching but only when I want to. I sew after my daily chores and work are finished. Since I have a 2 acre yard, I sew less in the summer!!! I also garden, try to exercise daily (rowing machine and walking the dog), cook, clean, etc. I end up with about 4 hours a day for sewing and that's split between quilting and garment sewing. I also do handwork in the evenings in front of the TV--usually cross stitch--for an hour or two. I couldn't choose which is my favorite, but I do go into withdrawal when I cannot sew. My late husband was career military and I carried a machine everywhere, even to Korea where our electricity was spotty. Every time it came on, I fired up the sewing machine and iron. :) I'm thinking I'm addicted!!!

Mariposa 06-03-2013 02:23 PM

I enjoy being in my sewing room when I can. Not even close to burn out. I have to many quilts and other crafty things I want to make! :)