Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: To those of you who sew and don't work.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

To those of you who sew and don't work.

I read a blog from a gal who sews from home. She said she was sewing seven days a week and burned herself out. Then she realized she needed to take weekends off. I decided to do the same. I burned myself out on sewing January 1st and just started sewing again last month. I think my treating sewing like I would a job, since I don't work, is a fabulous idea. I took this weekend off and am very excited to get back into the sewing room. This post is for people who are feeling burned out. Try this idea and see if it helps you.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I am still working until next spring, but love your idea. Thank way I can still do fun things with DH and the family.

Blog Entries
    im disabled, I can't sew as much as i'd like to because of the pain in my back and shoulder. i'd love to sew more. I can only sew for about 5 minutes at a time. I wish I could sew more and feel guilty when I don't.

I work fulltime and don't sew in the evenings or on Saturdays, but Sunday I go full throttle. Unless I'm in a really good book or there's a Law & Order marathon in which case I don't sew at all until the following weekend.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I read a blog from a gal who sews from home. She said she was sewing seven days a week and burned herself out. Then she realized she needed to take weekends off. I decided to do the same. I burned myself out on sewing January 1st and just started sewing again last month. I think my treating sewing like I would a job, since I don't work, is a fabulous idea. I took this weekend off and am very excited to get back into the sewing room. This post is for people who are feeling burned out. Try this idea and see if it helps you.
    Your subject line is exactly what my hubby claims I do. Sew and NOT WORK. I do as little housework as I can and still be able to walk thru most of the house. I'm on here way too much, also
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I try to treat sewing as my job; but I end up having to run errands, go to exercise, do housework, etc. I guess I'm just a part time sewer. That's why I end up doing some sewing on weekends. The way I have kept from burning out is that I work on so many different things, e.g., in the mornings, I work on FMQ, in the afternoons, I work on piecing, and at night I do handwork such as hand appliqué, Redwork embroidery, or repairing a 50 year old quilt. If I am tired of doing one thing in quilting, I can choose to do another quilting project.

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy the sewing. If it's paid work you have to do for others, you should definitely have time off. But for some of us, sewing is rest and recreation, and it's what we want to do every day!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wish i could sew for longer time,but with RA the pain starts getting bad after two or three hours. I used to sew all day and have to force myself to stop, oh for the good old day's.

I sewed for a living, I did this for 20+ years. It took me awhile to even by a home sewing machine after I retired.
    To this day I only sew when I want to. Sometimes I won't even go into my sewing room for days at a time. And there are times I will spend days on end in there.

My idea of not getting burnt out is to do more than quilting in my sewing room. I make clothes for the grandkids and myself. I do craft projects of all kinds.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I'm a "mood quilter". When I'm in the mood, I can piece/quilt all day long for days at a time When I'm not in the mood, it can be days/weeks before I touch my sewing machine
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

yep. I don't force myself to sew. I am in my room everyday only because I want to be. Some days are more productive than others, but none of the time is forced or wasted. I just like being there.
    Last edited by DebraK; 06-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I work outside the home and sew when I can. There are many days (both weekdays and weekends) when I wake up at 4:00 a.m. and can't get back to sleep, so I sew. I would prefer to sew in the evenings, but life / home / family get in the way. I just had a week of vacation, and I got 2 WIP tops finished, worked on two different hand applique projects, got the last block of a fusible applique done, started 2 new fusible applique projects and sewed 2 pillowcases. All in all, I had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    yep. I don't force myself to sew. I am in my room everyday only because I want to be. Some days are more productive than others, but none of the time is forced or wasted. I just like being there.
    Same here, some days I sew and some days all I do is piddle around with different crafts while I am in my sewing room.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

To those of you who sew and don't need to work, you are very blessed and I hope to achieve that sort of nirvana at some point in my life. Congrats!

I work full time and sew in the evenings and on week ends. I haven't been burned out yet.
    I have alot of quilts I want to make. I don't plan on slowing down any time soon.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I don't work outside the home, but I don't sew every day. I have many other things in my life that keep me busy, most of them fun. I probably at least walk into either my sewing room or my long arm room every day to make plans, dream, think about new projects etc. Once in a while I'll spend nearly a whole day sewing, but I like to make a point of getting out to exercise every day, so I make myself stop every so often.

I am lucky that I don't have to work outside the home either - I spend most days in my sewing room (you would think it was spotless -not) some days I sew and some days I just cruise the internet. I do go through those slump periods too - but when I do have to take a day off to run errands or gasp! do housework - I am so excited to spend the next day in my sewing room. I do make a little bit of money from my sewing - just enough to supplement my fabric addiction. I love it.

I retired almost 5 years ago. If I am home I am in my sewing room. Two days a week I clean houses, one day a week I have lunch with my daughter, and of course church on Sun. I have been quilting since 1976. I have never gotten bored or burnt out. Making quilts is my passion. As soon as I finish one, I start another. I have an enormous stash, and I would much rather leave my 3 daughters and 10 grandchildren, a stack of quilt tops, than a mound of fabrics. I do send some out to be quilted, but can't afford to do them all. I used to hand quilt, and still do small projects, but large quilts take too long. I am so blessed to be able to spend as much time as I want doing what I love.

I'm pretty much retired. I do some substitute teaching but only when I want to. I sew after my daily chores and work are finished. Since I have a 2 acre yard, I sew less in the summer!!! I also garden, try to exercise daily (rowing machine and walking the dog), cook, clean, etc. I end up with about 4 hours a day for sewing and that's split between quilting and garment sewing. I also do handwork in the evenings in front of the TV--usually cross stitch--for an hour or two. I couldn't choose which is my favorite, but I do go into withdrawal when I cannot sew. My late husband was career military and I carried a machine everywhere, even to Korea where our electricity was spotty. Every time it came on, I fired up the sewing machine and iron. I'm thinking I'm addicted!!!

I enjoy being in my sewing room when I can. Not even close to burn out. I have to many quilts and other crafty things I want to make!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I work full time and recently I've started to really try to sew everyday. Im afraid that by the time i retire i might not be able to sew, arthritis showing up in my hands, bilateral cataract surgery.I've been a member of my guild for over 20 years and I've been buying fabric for longer than that. Lol even when I didn't sew a lot I was buying fabric. That counts right????
    I feel like I've fallen in love with fabric, vintage sewing machines and quilting all over again.
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Blog Entries
    When I'm depressed , I can't sew. and when i'm not in the mood to sew, it's best I wait until I am. I make less mistakes that way and enjoy it much more.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I wish i could sew for longer time,but with RA the pain starts getting bad after two or three hours. I used to sew all day and have to force myself to stop, oh for the good old day's.
    Sympathy for the RA. I have plain ole arthur. But 2 hours is about my limit for one sitting. A short rest and I can come back---------if I don't get sidetracked.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
    To those of you who sew and don't need to work, you are very blessed and I hope to achieve that sort of nirvana at some point in my life. Congrats!
    Hope you don't have to wait long.

BTW, your avatar is fantastic. What is the pattern name?
    U N T I E

When I was a child, my grandma warned me, sew on Sunday, pierce an angel. Later on, I realized that for her, sewing was work. Not for me. Treating it like work goes against my grain, but I understand what you mean - you can't take a vacation if you don't have a job, if you are always on vacation. And yes, I take breaks from sewing all the time, and don't feel guilty at all. Do what you have to do, and have all the fun you can squeeze in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast