Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thoughts on which block to add on the border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thoughts-block-add-border-t296318.html)

lizzie3 04-18-2018 03:55 PM

Thoughts on which block to add on the border

1 Attachment(s)
So I started this quilt a year ago for my summer bed quilt but I didn't finish it, and I haven't made anything since. I had made it and realized it is way too small for my double bed. Usually I would just add a giant border and problem solved... However, I have put more work into these blocks and want something nicer. I have tried multiple times to just make a bunch more of these blocks but I am just not interested/motivated to do that, which I think is the reason I didn't finish it. So I have nixed that idea.

So now I am thinking to do a row or two of another block. Nothing too complicated, I want something quick and somewhat easy. The blocks are 10" finished. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The colours are much brighter in person! The fourth colour is bright green :)

ILoveToQuilt 04-18-2018 04:08 PM

Narrow black border, then a border of alternating squares of the colors and the black? Black binding. (Yellow, orange, pink, green, black, yellow, orange, pink, green black, etc.)

Just my 2 cents! BTW - I love the quilt. It will look absolutely stunning when finished.

osewfast 04-18-2018 04:09 PM

Beautiful quilt! Such fun, bright colors. =)
I suggest....add a strip of black, then several small 'racing stripes' strips of your brights, then another wide black. The bright stripes could be separated by thin black or all next to each other. This would be a simple way to widen it.

If you wanted to go more complicated...a black strip all around. Then a wider row with miniature/smaller star blocks of the same colors scattered - maybe on point. Maybe 3 small blocks on top/bottom & 5 on the sides. and black corner blocks - with some brightly colored thread for the quilting. =)

Just some ideas to ponder. I'm sure something wonderful will come to you. Have fun with it!
Good Luck!
Donna Mc

Tartan 04-18-2018 05:31 PM

There is a YouTube video on making staggered Flying Geese that I think would look lovely. I would do the geese in the bright colours and the background in black.

Boston1954 04-18-2018 06:14 PM

How about piano keys with the brights and the black every other piece or so?

Irishrose2 04-18-2018 06:17 PM

I think a braid after a black strip would look good. Quilters cache has the directions I used. You could do the braid with the black squares in the center.

ArtsyOne 04-19-2018 03:22 AM

How pretty! I would add a narrow black strip all around to separate the main body of your quilt from any border you add. For the border I would definitely use the brights you already have. You could go as simple as piano keys, smaller stars, braid or even a small checkerboard. No matter what, I can't wait to see the finished product!

luvstoquilt 04-19-2018 04:12 AM

I love piano keys!

lizzie3 04-19-2018 05:22 AM

I googled examples of all that you suggest and I now know what I am doing! I'll post a picture soon and update you all!!

feline fanatic 04-19-2018 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8043202)
There is a YouTube video on making staggered Flying Geese that I think would look lovely. I would do the geese in the bright colours and the background in black.

FG immediately struck me as a perfect pieced border for this fun quilt. I like Tartan's idea of staggered ones even better!