Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts on which block to add on the border >

Thoughts on which block to add on the border

Thoughts on which block to add on the border

Old 04-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Default Thoughts on which block to add on the border

So I started this quilt a year ago for my summer bed quilt but I didn't finish it, and I haven't made anything since. I had made it and realized it is way too small for my double bed. Usually I would just add a giant border and problem solved... However, I have put more work into these blocks and want something nicer. I have tried multiple times to just make a bunch more of these blocks but I am just not interested/motivated to do that, which I think is the reason I didn't finish it. So I have nixed that idea.

So now I am thinking to do a row or two of another block. Nothing too complicated, I want something quick and somewhat easy. The blocks are 10" finished. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The colours are much brighter in person! The fourth colour is bright green
Attached Thumbnails summerquilt.jpg  
Old 04-18-2018, 04:08 PM

Narrow black border, then a border of alternating squares of the colors and the black? Black binding. (Yellow, orange, pink, green, black, yellow, orange, pink, green black, etc.)

Just my 2 cents! BTW - I love the quilt. It will look absolutely stunning when finished.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:09 PM

Beautiful quilt! Such fun, bright colors. =)
I suggest....add a strip of black, then several small 'racing stripes' strips of your brights, then another wide black. The bright stripes could be separated by thin black or all next to each other. This would be a simple way to widen it.

If you wanted to go more complicated...a black strip all around. Then a wider row with miniature/smaller star blocks of the same colors scattered - maybe on point. Maybe 3 small blocks on top/bottom & 5 on the sides. and black corner blocks - with some brightly colored thread for the quilting. =)

Just some ideas to ponder. I'm sure something wonderful will come to you. Have fun with it!
Good Luck!
Donna Mc
Old 04-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

There is a YouTube video on making staggered Flying Geese that I think would look lovely. I would do the geese in the bright colours and the background in black.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

How about piano keys with the brights and the black every other piece or so?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 PM

I think a braid after a black strip would look good. Quilters cache has the directions I used. You could do the braid with the black squares in the center.

Last edited by Irishrose2; 04-18-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:22 AM

How pretty! I would add a narrow black strip all around to separate the main body of your quilt from any border you add. For the border I would definitely use the brights you already have. You could go as simple as piano keys, smaller stars, braid or even a small checkerboard. No matter what, I can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:12 AM

I love piano keys!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 AM

I googled examples of all that you suggest and I now know what I am doing! I'll post a picture soon and update you all!!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
There is a YouTube video on making staggered Flying Geese that I think would look lovely. I would do the geese in the bright colours and the background in black.
FG immediately struck me as a perfect pieced border for this fun quilt. I like Tartan's idea of staggered ones even better!