Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thousands of Bolts Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thousands-bolts-fabric-t29498.html)

Shorebird 11-29-2009 02:45 PM

I found 108" wide fabric for backing of a large quilt for my daughter in a dark, dull blue color, and ordered it. Package arrived.........and was I ever disappointed. Not only was the color off (far too bright) but the fabric was so stiff and rough it would have scratched you, and so thin that you could see the individual warp and weft threads (not a homespun fabric either)....and the light just poured thru the fabric...........

Was I just unlucky with this one fabric, or have others received very thin, poor quality fabric from this on-line shop?

kluedesigns 11-29-2009 02:51 PM

i order from them all the time and i've never had a problem. i only order fabric from them when i know who the manufacturer is and the quality of that manufacturers fabric.

when i buy commercially made fabric i tend to buy Moda, Kaufman, and Benartex.

i've gotten fabric from all of these manufacturers thru thousands of bolts and the quality was perfect.

Barb_MO 11-29-2009 03:04 PM

Oh, I hate to hear that. I just ordered 5 yrds. of 108 in fabric from them Friday. I'll let you know what I think when I get mine.

Maribeth 11-29-2009 03:14 PM

Give them a call tomorrow and see if they can help you with this problem.

I have only ordered brand name fabrics from them and the quality and service has been wonderful.

Susy 11-29-2009 03:46 PM

I ordered twice and really liked the fabric but the wide width backing is/was stiff & not the best quality. However, the wide width at my LQS is not great either, guess I just assumed that wide stuff is poorer quality?

Shorebird 11-29-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Susy
I ordered twice and really liked the fabric but the wide width backing is/was stiff & not the best quality. However, the wide width at my LQS is not great either, guess I just assumed that wide stuff is poorer quality?

I have purchased wide fabric at my LQS and it was just a soft and thick and nice as the regular fabric that I buy there............so no all wide fabric is this poor...............guess I should have limited myself only to those manufacturers that I know and whose fabrics I have purchased in the past.

Shorebird 11-29-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Oh, I hate to hear that. I just ordered 5 yrds. of 108 in fabric from them Friday. I'll let you know what I think when I get mine.

Send me a note when yours arrives and let me know......I may wind up calling them - as I just cannot use what I received.........it is almost like the dye was spray painted on the fabric (that stiff and hard) and I am really concerned that if I used it, it would rip, tear, with even the gentlest of use.......

Boston1954 11-29-2009 04:50 PM

My sister got some 108" from Marshalls, and I bought a bit from her for my queen sized that I am hand quilting now. It had a hole in it. I decided to go ahead with it because it "lands" just about where I will be putting the label. I do not know if I will order from them.

Barb_MO 11-29-2009 08:14 PM

I'll let you know if it is ok or not.

Originally Posted by Shorebird

Originally Posted by Barb_MO

Send me a note when yours arrives and let me know......I may wind up calling them - as I just cannot use what I received.........it is almost like the dye was spray painted on the fabric (that stiff and hard) and I am really concerned that if I used it, it would rip, tear, with even the gentlest of use.......

Janstar 11-29-2009 08:22 PM

I ordered wide backing from them about a month ago and it was fine. Maybe you should call and tell them you are not happy with what you got. I'm sure they want happy customers.