Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread for Bernina (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-bernina-t210919.html)

schoolteacher 01-14-2013 04:12 AM

Thread for Bernina

Have just received a 530 Bernina and am wondering what brand of thread you use? I have been told to buy "good" thread but with all prices involved, am wanting to make a wise choice. Thanks.

SuzieQuilts 01-14-2013 04:34 AM

I use Star thread.

Joset 01-14-2013 05:26 AM

i used the guttermans thread on my 640 bernia. but lately i am going with
the 3 ply superior thread. my machine really likes that. i was told the
same thing when i bought mine a year ago.

abdconsultant 01-14-2013 05:28 AM

My Bernina sews well with all threads!

maryb119 01-14-2013 05:36 AM

I prefer Mettler. It's all cotton.

romanojg 01-14-2013 05:37 AM

Try a variety and see what you like. Just because a thread cost more doesn't make it better. If you have a quilt show you can go to thats a good place to buy thread at a good price. I use Aurifil; my favorite for piecing. It's low lint, strong and since it's only two ply when I have a lot of seams in a block my block comes out to the right size more than when I use a 3-ply thread. I also use Connecting Threads thread and have had no issues with it. I have an embroidery unit too and for that I use Sulky, RA, Jenny Haskins, Floriani, Prencia, and a few others. I wouldn't buy a low grade thread to make something that I wanted to last. I have lots of thread that is really old and I use that to hand baste or on my machine when I'm practicing on something or testing out stitches, trouble shooting. I know that some have said that their machines don't like certain threads, I've not had that experience. I figure if I own a 10,000 machine it should take what ever thread I give it and my Ruby did and my Viking Diamond Deluxe does. I thought I had issues with the cone thread once and after pulling my hair out, I finally read up on it and changed the size and type of needle to the project that I was working on and it went well after that. Just buy what you can afford and test them out. With sewing machines like other things in life; what works well with one person/machine may or may not work with the next one.

Patticake59 01-14-2013 05:40 AM

My Bernina 200E works well with all threads, I clean the fuzz after every project if the thread produced some.

Jackie Spencer 01-14-2013 05:46 AM

I use all threads, especially Connecting threads, thread!

BellaBoo 01-14-2013 05:49 AM

I have finally figured out it's not the thread that causes problems it's the wrong needle size that causes 99% of my thread problems. I have an older Bernina, 1260, and can use all brands and types of thread. I prefer a very thin thread for piecing for both top and bobbin. I don't care if it is cotton or poly as long as it's at least 60 wt.

Tartan 01-14-2013 06:22 AM

My Bernina sews well with whatever thread I throw at her. The only time I had a problem was with an expensive spool of YLI varigated thread for machine quilting. It formed a little lint ball behind the needle eye and broke. My favourite for piecing is Aurifil.