Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread color? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-color-t86837.html)

chris_quilts 01-02-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by GwynR

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Originally Posted by johans
To Chris who said: Who wants to mend when one can quilt?
Have you heard, "Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint the garage."

I'm that Chris and completely agree. However, DH doesn't quite see it that way. :(

I love your idea of using whatever is in the machine to do the mending. That might make the 16 yr boys think twice about asking for stuff to be mended. :twisted:

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Tonite mended a pair of DHs pants. Needed patching and all he asked for was a manly color of fabric and thread to kind of match the fabric. Smart man!! I did find a manly print, dark blue with leaves, but kitten absconded with matching thread so he got what was close. He doesn't much care - he's just happy they're mended. I have now fulfilled my mending requirement for the year. :twisted:

IBQUILTIN 01-02-2011 07:36 PM

Black, white, gray, and neutral beiges are about it for me for piecing. But lots of colors for quilting

Farm Quilter 01-02-2011 07:50 PM

Used to use only beige and gray, white with white and black with black. Found that when I stretched the quilts on my LA the fabric would stretch and the thread I used to piece with would show, so now I match the main color in my quilt.

marlene tarzwell 01-02-2011 07:58 PM

I use a lot of dark and white, But I love using colors too. I just ordered the last of all the sets of threads from Connecting threads. I love their threads.It helped to get 2 big gift cards from our kids for Christmas. I was so happy.

marlene tarzwell 01-02-2011 07:59 PM

I use a lot of dark and white, But I love using colors too. I just ordered the last of all the sets of threads from Connecting threads. I love their threads.It helped to get 2 big gift cards from our kids for Christmas. I was so happy.

danade 01-02-2011 10:44 PM

Fabulous quilt, Kryssa!

Dana

Sew Krazy Girl 01-03-2011 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by bj
For piecing I mostly use a neutral/cream or gray.

So do I. For quilting I like using variegated colors to go with the quilt.

doowopddbop 01-03-2011 06:56 AM

I love Superior Thread's "Sew Fine", and use it for both piecing and longarm quilting. I usually piece with a neutral beige or cream, hardly ever use black or white anymore. And since I have about 100 cones of thread for my longarm business, I could use any color I need for piecing, but I really do just stick to the neutrals.

mrsmail 01-03-2011 02:27 PM

I use only white, gray or black.

Splittingstitches 01-03-2011 02:32 PM

I with you....I find myself using creams, beige's and blacks......other than that can't say I ever venture off of those colors for piecing.

I do try to match best I can when doing the quilting.