Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread count (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-count-t270407.html)

ruby2shoes 09-25-2015 09:51 PM

Thread count

I have done a search and read the posts but am still confused so, embarassed as I am, can someone please explain to me about thread count? Now I read somewhere that a thread count of above 70 per square inch of quilting fabric is good but when I dutifully clipped a square inch of my chosen backing fabric, grabbed my tweezers and magnifyers and pulled said sample apart I counted 143 threads! Was I only meant to count the weft or warp threads...not both? Do I have too much time on my hands to be obsessing over this?:o

Prism99 09-25-2015 10:08 PM

IMHO, you are obsessing. :cool:

quiltsRfun 09-25-2015 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7328125)
IMHO, you are obsessing. :cool:

..........Agree...........

notmorecraft 09-25-2015 11:03 PM

I only consider thread count when buying Egyptian Cotton sheets for my bed, the higher the count the batter quality and more expensive. Otherwise why do you need to know?

ruby2shoes 09-26-2015 01:43 AM

Thought it would indicate a better quality quilting cotton? Not so?

bearisgray 09-26-2015 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes (Post 7328124)
I have done a search and read the posts but am still confused so, embarassed as I am, can someone please explain to me about thread count? Now I read somewhere that a thread count of above 70 per square inch of quilting fabric is good but when I dutifully clipped a square inch of my chosen backing fabric, grabbed my tweezers and magnifyers and pulled said sample apart I counted 143 threads! Was I only meant to count the weft or warp threads...not both? Do I have too much time on my hands to be obsessing over this?:o

I have considered doing exactly what you did. Just never got around to doing it.

I was also wondering the same thing you were wondering about thread count. 70 didn't seem to be "enough" threads for both the lengthwise and crosswise threads.

I thank you for doing so.

ruby2shoes 09-26-2015 03:52 AM

Maybe if it was 70 each way? That would make 140 total.......which puts my count more "in the ball park". I did a second count (am I nuts!!!!) of another 1" square and kept the warp and weft threads seperate and got 65 and 72 (give or take a few that may have fallen off the table, got stuck to my sleeve or been inhaled by the dog!). A bit of "after-dinner" googling has me none the wiser or informed on the subject!

Mdegenhart 09-26-2015 04:05 AM

I'm exhausted just reading this.

quilterpurpledog 09-26-2015 04:12 AM

Threads are counted in both direction. Thicker threads make for a coarser fabric and printing that looks 'muddled' or 'muddied' because of dye absorption. And, they fray easily. A another advantage of a higher thread count is that the yarns are more tightly twisted, thus they wear better. That is very important in some applications. More tightly twisted yarns provide more stability when bias direction is a factor. No, I don't think you are 'obsessed' you are asking questions that affect the end product.

tessagin 09-26-2015 04:29 AM

Ditto. The last pair of sheets we bought had an 800 thread count. Egyptian cotton. DH and I both agree they are the softest, coolest, warmest set we have ever had. We paid $80.00 for the set. His move not mine but the pillow cases are tucked inside so the pillows will not slip out and about.

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 7328226)
Threads are counted in both direction. Thicker threads make for a coarser fabric and printing that looks 'muddled' or 'muddied' because of dye absorption. And, they fray easily. A another advantage of a higher thread count is that the yarns are more tightly twisted, thus they wear better. That is very important in some applications. More tightly twisted yarns provide more stability when bias direction is a factor. No, I don't think you are 'obsessed' you are asking questions that affect the end product.