Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread count >

Thread count

Thread count

Old 09-25-2015, 09:51 PM

Default Thread count

I have done a search and read the posts but am still confused so, embarassed as I am, can someone please explain to me about thread count? Now I read somewhere that a thread count of above 70 per square inch of quilting fabric is good but when I dutifully clipped a square inch of my chosen backing fabric, grabbed my tweezers and magnifyers and pulled said sample apart I counted 143 threads! Was I only meant to count the weft or warp threads...not both? Do I have too much time on my hands to be obsessing over this?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Power Poster

IMHO, you are obsessing.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
IMHO, you are obsessing.
..........Agree...........
Old 09-25-2015, 11:03 PM

I only consider thread count when buying Egyptian Cotton sheets for my bed, the higher the count the batter quality and more expensive. Otherwise why do you need to know?
Old 09-26-2015, 01:43 AM

Thought it would indicate a better quality quilting cotton? Not so?
Old 09-26-2015, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
I have done a search and read the posts but am still confused so, embarassed as I am, can someone please explain to me about thread count? Now I read somewhere that a thread count of above 70 per square inch of quilting fabric is good but when I dutifully clipped a square inch of my chosen backing fabric, grabbed my tweezers and magnifyers and pulled said sample apart I counted 143 threads! Was I only meant to count the weft or warp threads...not both? Do I have too much time on my hands to be obsessing over this?
I have considered doing exactly what you did. Just never got around to doing it.

I was also wondering the same thing you were wondering about thread count. 70 didn't seem to be "enough" threads for both the lengthwise and crosswise threads.

I thank you for doing so.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-26-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:52 AM

Maybe if it was 70 each way? That would make 140 total.......which puts my count more "in the ball park". I did a second count (am I nuts!!!!) of another 1" square and kept the warp and weft threads seperate and got 65 and 72 (give or take a few that may have fallen off the table, got stuck to my sleeve or been inhaled by the dog!). A bit of "after-dinner" googling has me none the wiser or informed on the subject!
Old 09-26-2015, 04:05 AM

I'm exhausted just reading this.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:12 AM

Threads are counted in both direction. Thicker threads make for a coarser fabric and printing that looks 'muddled' or 'muddied' because of dye absorption. And, they fray easily. A another advantage of a higher thread count is that the yarns are more tightly twisted, thus they wear better. That is very important in some applications. More tightly twisted yarns provide more stability when bias direction is a factor. No, I don't think you are 'obsessed' you are asking questions that affect the end product.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Ditto. The last pair of sheets we bought had an 800 thread count. Egyptian cotton. DH and I both agree they are the softest, coolest, warmest set we have ever had. We paid $80.00 for the set. His move not mine but the pillow cases are tucked inside so the pillows will not slip out and about.
Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
Threads are counted in both direction. Thicker threads make for a coarser fabric and printing that looks 'muddled' or 'muddied' because of dye absorption. And, they fray easily. A another advantage of a higher thread count is that the yarns are more tightly twisted, thus they wear better. That is very important in some applications. More tightly twisted yarns provide more stability when bias direction is a factor. No, I don't think you are 'obsessed' you are asking questions that affect the end product.