Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread and Machine Needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-machine-needles-t311239.html)

RedGarnet222 06-06-2020 09:51 AM

By the way, Connecting Threads.com has nice threads at reasonable prices on big spools for the price of a small one at the local store. Yes they do fit onto your regular machine spool pin.

CaleyH 06-06-2020 10:54 AM

I already have ordered thread and needles, and some fabric. So I am pretty much set, and ready to go.

I found one person, Melanie Ham, on YouTube who has a series on how to do a basic quilt. It is the easiest, and most understandable video I have found so far. And I will be trying to follow her instructions with my first attempt at quilting.

I have some 4x4 inch blocks of pre-cut fabric that I have sorted, and will do a 12x12 block setup. To me this seems about right size for my first attempt. Unfortunately, the so called 4x4 inch blocks vary in size, so I am going to have to try trimming all the blocks I will use to a uniform size.

I will not be pre-washing this first one. It will never leave my house. It is only to learn how to use the sewing machine, and hone my sewing skills (I have none yet). I probably will not do anything but the font panel. As I said, this is my first, and I just need to get started, and learn.

I will do another thread on my first attempt. I guess there is a place on this Forum for such things. Will post a picture once I finish.

Thanks again for all the wonderful information and help. Sorry if my questions through a couple of threads were much the same. I am still learning how to do things on this Forum and subject.

bearisgray 06-06-2020 12:40 PM

I am still surprised by how much I have yet to learn - and I have been "around" sewing for over 70 years.

Some people practice "steering/manipulating" the machine by using an unthreaded machine and paper - one can use lines or drawings - and one can see by where the needle punched holes in the paper how well one did!

A caution - this may tend to dull your needle - but - this is for practice. You can use junk mail, whatever.

Jordan 06-06-2020 02:55 PM

I like Aurifil 50 weight for thread and piecing the top. I have tried the Microtex needles and really like them.

CaleyH 06-06-2020 03:24 PM

I seem to learn the hard way. I tend to not see certain details of items when I am ordering things for the first time, and I did it with my order of thread.

I ordered SimThread black and white 5500 yard spools. One black and one white.

Well, they cannot fit in my Singer Quantum Stylist 9960, as they are too wide and long. I am guessing I need to stay with bobbins with 1500 yards or less. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/shock.png

I also didn't realize this was polyester thread.

Anyway, no way to use it, so maybe someone out there likes this type of thread. Just PM me. All I want is you to pay shipping.

I just ordered Connecting threads salt and pepper set that is 1500 yard size. Based on what I can see, that size bobbin should fit my machine, and they are filled with cotton thread.

pocoellie 06-06-2020 03:51 PM

Caley, try putting the cone of thread in a cup, jar, vase, etc., and set it behind your machine and see if it will work for you then.

quiltingshorttimer 06-06-2020 05:40 PM

Welcome! I just placed an order to Superior Thread last night and can tell you that I love their thread. I use SoFine #50, Magnifico (thicker and shiney) and sometimes MonoPoly (invisible) and sometimes Omni or KingTut on the long arm. I prefer the SoFine #50. I just ordered some of their Sew ?? (can't remember the name) spools for piecing at $2/spool that I'm looking forward to using.
Yes--needles "match" threads--a #50 wt or finer (higher number) is good to go on regular machine with a 11 or 12 or higher needle. A thicker thread like King Tut would need a 14 (topstitch if you are going to quilt with it).

CaleyH 06-06-2020 06:40 PM

Pocoellie, Glad I have some experienced people here to baby me along. I put the cone in a 16 ounce glass behind the machine. The machine doesn't seem to know the difference of where the thread is coming from,,,,,so far.... Thanks so much for the tip.

Quiltingshorttimer Yes, I purchase #12 and #14 needles so far. The #12 is Universal, and #14 is Top Stitch. I'm hoping that gets me started for now

bearisgray 06-06-2020 07:01 PM

I have used polyester thread and cotton thread. So far, the polyester thread has not melted under a hot iron.

I have heard that some nylon and monoilament threads will melt.

I have learned to do a bit of sewing on scraps before I sew on my "good" stuff.

pocoellie 06-07-2020 07:43 AM

I'm glad that I was able to help you.