Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread and Machine Needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-machine-needles-t311239.html)

Artanis 06-09-2020 04:22 AM

Hi y'all! This is my first post and I'm going to tell you that this thread (har!) has helped me too, so thank you. I'm kinda in CaleyH's boat - just starting out, and jumped in with both feet (after a stint making masks with a loaner machine was such fun I knew I needed more) . I tend to do that. My mother, wherever she is (I think she may be haunting me or possessing me at the moment) is laughing like a loon right now. She tried hard to teach me to sew when I was a kid, but it just didn't take - I was a disappointment. So fast forward a....few....decades, rolling past the early 2000s and the slight redemption in her eyes for doing hand needlework for a while, A few weeks ago I took a risk and bought a used Pfaff (working great), a couple of jellyrolls (lessons learned about pinked edges, grrrr) and I'm currently in the piecing phase. It's actually going pretty well, although I will definitely do some things differently for the next one, but I'm sure that's to be expected, right?

At present I'm using Superior Masterpiece and have had no problems. But I was wanting to understand the issues between the two threads - the Superior 50 and the Aurifil 50, since I'm looking into the future and realize that once I get past the "easy" part of piecing, I'm going to have to quilt the thing. Now That is a bit scary.

Anyway, that you all for helping me to not overthink things that are looming. It sounds like either one will work fine for the quilting part too.

QuiltnNan 06-09-2020 05:57 AM

I don't know about your threads, but wanted to welcome you to the QB

CaleyH 06-09-2020 10:13 AM

Artanis, Welcome, and happy this thread is helping not only myself, but hopefully others.

As you are, I am a beginner. I am also in the process of putting together a basic block quilt. Just wish I had had more information and experience when I purchased my first fabric squares. What I have are not uniform, so I will have to adjust the distance in to accommodate those block which are short. I still don't have an accurate way of measuring and cutting, so this is what I have to do. Regardless, the experience is enjoyable.

I hope your foray into quitling will also be an ejoyable, and long lasting one.

Artanis 06-11-2020 04:48 AM

QuiltnNan, thanks for the welcome! This forum is overflowing with great info and I'm getting a lot from reading it. :) My goal is to get to a point where I can actually contribute more than "D'uh...I don't know how (insert newbie problem) that happened."

Artanis 06-11-2020 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by CaleyH (Post 8392007)
Artanis, Welcome, and happy this thread is helping not only myself, but hopefully others.

As you are, I am a beginner. I am also in the process of putting together a basic block quilt. Just wish I had had more information and experience when I purchased my first fabric squares. What I have are not uniform, so I will have to adjust the distance in to accommodate those block which are short. I still don't have an accurate way of measuring and cutting, so this is what I have to do. Regardless, the experience is enjoyable.

I hope your foray into quitling will also be an ejoyable, and long lasting one.

Thanks CaleyH, for the good wishes. For our first attempts, I hope we both end up with something we can be OK with at the very least. I'm doing pieced squares (a ribbon star with snowballed points) and while the stars are coming out pretty well now that I've done a few (the first one was not so swift, but hey, it was my first one, right?) but the amount of seam allowance on some of my blocks, oiy. The looming prospect of putting them together with the required sashing fills me with fear. Let's just say that in order to get even an adequate seam is going to require a few star points to be stitched over. Not happy about that. I've been so so careful with trimming and seaming, measuring the seams for as close to perfect as i can get with the 1/4", the works, but I still end up with ratty edges of my blocks. Not sure what's up with that, but I'll keep poking around and see if someone else has had that problem. (I know, I'm so unique and all, how could anyone ever have the same problem as me, right?? https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/tongue.png )

Anyway, nice to meetcha, and best of luck to both of us, right?

Mazo 06-11-2020 02:28 PM

It looks like you have a lot of answers already. I just opened my email and found this. The timing couldn’t have been better.

https://weallsew.com/five-basic-sewi...611-WASbiglist

CaleyH 06-11-2020 05:00 PM

I was going to start another thread on the block quilt I planned to make. Not going to, as the whole effort was a disaster. The blocks, being non uniform, only matched up for a few blocks, then the seams got progressively farther apart. I also got a wavy surface, instead of a flat product.

It probably is because I did not size the blocks, which, right now, I can't do accurately. I still am gathering tools also need to purchase a 1/4 inch foot for my sewing machine. That may help with better alignment of my stitch line.

Another problem is these blocks were of different thicknesses of material. They difference was not great, but there was a difference. So I have different thicknesses of material all through my trial quilt.

Not sure what to do with this mess. It's too difficult to remove the stitching. I guess I could cut out the material inside the stitches, and use it for something else. But that still means the inconsistent thicknesses of the material come into play.

Any suggestions on what to do with this botched quilting attempt?

pocoellie 06-11-2020 05:07 PM

Caley-I would do as you "suggested" cutting the blocks apart, starch or Best Press, re-press and cut them again into uniform sizes, I'm assuming you have a rotary cutter and mat. If not, PM me, and I'll send you a cutter, but I don't have an extra mat. I'm also assuming you have a quilting ruler also. I'm also assuming the already cut pieces are cotton fabrics.

Until you're able to get a 1/4" foot, you can also make your own 1/4" mark with painter's tape, layer several layers of tape until it creates a ridge, and use that ridge as your guide.

CaleyH 06-11-2020 05:13 PM

Taking apart 156 squares is just too much work for me. This material cost less than $20, so my effort in doing so, wouldn't be worth it.

I have a metal ruler, but nothing else. Yes, I do have a rotary cutter.

The cost of the sewing machine, and a few other things like thread and needles had my budget in a pinch. I need to pay off what I spent on plastic over the next three to four months before I can invest in anything else.

Being a beginner, I never stashed material like all of you have over the years of your quilting and sewing. I figure this start of my journey will take about a year to gather what I need to get things doing properly. I'm patient. I waited for years to get into some things. Always have my other things like building my real cobblestone driveway (not bricks- real stones)

Anyway, I will just fold up what I have until I figure out what to do with the mess.

pocoellie 06-11-2020 05:16 PM

Caley, do you ever get up this way? If so, maybe we could meet and I could bring you a couple big garbage bags full of scraps. PM me and I'll see what I can do to help you.