Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-question-t116055.html)

Aylahopper 04-14-2011 08:53 AM

What type of thread do you use to piece your quilt top? Should you use Machine Quilt thread or is all purpose okay to use?

Just not sure...

Ayla

TonnieLoree 04-14-2011 08:55 AM

I use all purpose for piecing. I save the Machine Quilt thread for Machine Quilting or top stitching.

ckcowl 04-14-2011 08:56 AM

you can use any utility thread that works well in your machine- quilting thread tends to be a heavier thread than what we peice with. a good quality 40 or 50 wt thread is best for piecing. the thinner threads help the seam to lay flatter.

quilter1943 04-14-2011 08:57 AM

I think any cotton thread is fine, whatever your machine likes is usually my rule. I always use cotton thread for piecing and quilting anything that will be washed and dried so the thread will shrink along with the fabric. If it's a wall hanging that won't be laundered, rayons and poly are great. If you look at JoAnn's, even WalMart, they have cotton threads that are great for piecing. For color, if I'm using white fabric, I use white; otherwise a muted color of the main fabric color or grey.

Candace 04-14-2011 08:59 AM

Everyone has their personal preference. There are many threads on thread (hehehe). I PREFER all cotton, and either use Aurifil(my favorite) or will make do with Gutterman.

Aylahopper 04-14-2011 09:09 AM

Thank You Ladies! I've been using the quilting thread but the added expence is killing me. I would rather use less expensive thread and buy more fabric :)

lbaillie 04-14-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
you can use any utility thread that works well in your machine- quilting thread tends to be a heavier thread than what we peice with. a good quality 40 or 50 wt thread is best for piecing. the thinner threads help the seam to lay flatter.

I never gave this a thought, (thinner thread flatter seams)looks like I'm changing from quilting thread when I piece to the 40 or 50 wt. I love this board

BKrenning 04-14-2011 09:52 AM

I use Coats & Clark all purpose or dual duty on top and leftover pre-wound embroidery bobbins for piecing. It helps the seams lay flatter. I only use quilting thread for quilting, top stitching or fancy stitches that I want to show.

I had some 50 weight Robison Anton machine quilting cotton thread that just flowed like oil through my quilting machine. I only bought one spool of several types of thread to try on it and it just loved that one. I've had many battles with the cotton fuzz off Coats & Clark machine quilting thread. I usually win those battles by liberally applying Sewer's Aid to the spools but decided I was tired of fighting the thread when I know there are less fuzzy threads out there.

I've thrown a couple spools of C&C variegated thread away because the weight wasn't consistent all the way through and it gave my auto tensioning sewing machine fits. It was also very weak in the thin areas and would snap so into the trash it went after about the 6th time. It was 2 different very bright rainbow variegated spools that I really liked, too!

okiepastor 04-14-2011 10:00 AM

I quit C & C quite a long time ago after all the fuzz and slubs/flaws in the thread itself--got tired of re-threading the machines!
Right now I am using up about 20 HUGE cones of unlabeled cotton thread from a sewing shop that quit....wish I knew who made it--it is GREAT thread.....they must be 15,000 yard cones, and most are at least half full--got them on eBay five years ago and they cost $2 cone.

StitchinJoy 04-14-2011 10:09 AM

I use regular cotton thread, Guterman or Mettler usually. I reserve machine quilting threads for quilting.