Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread question?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-question-t203642.html)

jcrow 10-19-2012 10:22 AM

I don't quilt, but I was using quilting thread for piecing. I finally figured it out and started using the proper thread and my machine thanks me.

ckcowl 10-19-2012 12:21 PM

the only thread you should not use for machine quilting is 'hand quilting thread' because it has a waxy finish on it that can gum up your machine- beyond that you can use any thread you want to machine quilt- people quilt with cottons, poly's, blends, silks, lots of different threads.
as long as your 'chosen thread' is strong (holds up to a tug-test) you can use it for piecing and quilting.

SittingPretty 10-19-2012 12:36 PM

Most certainly! I use what I have. For piecing, I don't much care what color it is as long as it's fairly neutral or, at least, won't show through the fabric. For FMQ, I usually use machine quilting thread, and that is usually Coats & Clark.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-19-2012 01:39 PM

You have to suit the following things:
#1. Your budget. If it costs more than you need to spend, don't look at it!
#2. Your machine. Will it sew with it? (Mine will sew with ANYTHING!)
#3. Your tastes. If you like it, it's good.

Following those rules I have pieced and quilted just about everything.

Dolphyngyrl 10-19-2012 02:27 PM

I have used coats and clark just fine, use whatever you like no quilt police hear.

auntpiggylpn 10-19-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney (Post 5596948)
Does anyone else us Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP General Purpose thread for piecing? I just want to check so that this thread will hold up after my quilt has been washed many times. Thanks:o

Also when quilting, I am ALWAYS supposed to use the Machine quilting thread right? I am not supposed to use a general purpose thread correct? Thanks :o

C & C Dual Duty XP is the ONLY thread that I use for piecing. I will also use it for quilting too if I want a color that it comes in. I have used several different brands for the quilting but usually it is because it is the perfect color I am looking for!

cad_queen_2000 10-19-2012 06:13 PM

I use Coats & Clark for piecing, I like it and my machine likes it. I only use Coats & Clark for hand quilting. I have never machined quilted, so I can't answer that. I have never had any problems with it, and I have been using it for at least 40 years. I figure, if it works, don't fix it.

margee 10-20-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5597216)
I don't quilt, but I was using quilting thread for piecing. I finally figured it out and started using the proper thread and my machine thanks me.

I have been using the Signature Cone Quilting thread for both quilting & piecing. No problem with it on my machine, an MC11000SE. I really like it.

nanna-up-north 10-20-2012 05:42 AM

I'm another one that uses whatever I have. I don't use hand quilting thread in the machine. I haven't had any problem with thread breaking and I've been quilting for 20+ years..... sewing for 60 years. I have lots of old thread and I use that up as well.

haylillan 10-20-2012 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5597004)
Some times it is just a question of what you can afford to use. I have used everything for everything....the only one I really stay away from is Hand Quilting thread, not recommended for sewing machine use.....I have A LOT OF older thread, and am trying to use it up, "Waste not...want not"....but if I was to buy new, now that is a different question. I would only buy Superior Thread "King Tut" for machine quilting.....love the look, love the fact that it is very low lint, but it is $9 a spool....so I buy on sale when I can. I have quilted with serger thread and embroidery thread, I have used polyester thread on cotton fabric and cotton thread on polyester fabric..... sometimes the color is more important.

I agree use what u want and can afford