Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread in Septic Tank? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-septic-tank-t93034.html)

justlooking 01-24-2011 03:28 AM

I put my rag quilts in a pillowcase and rubber band the end shut. Works good and keep all the lint out of the washer!

quiltergirl80 01-24-2011 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
When I made a rag quilt, someone at one of the quilting classes told me 'if you have a septic system (as opposed to city waste system), wash your rag quilts at the laundromat'. That has always stuck with me and that is what I do. Don't know if it's true or not, but I do know there is not too many things worse than septic problems.

This is what I have been told too.

ladeg 01-24-2011 03:57 AM

I have made one rag quilt, Denim and Flannel. When I washed it, the fibers went through the washing machine pump and decided to stay there. I was so clogged that I had to call a repairman. A very expensive load of laundry! If I make another, I will take it to the laundromat.

Karyn 01-24-2011 04:52 AM

We recently had our septic tank pumped out(1st time in 30+ years) and I asked about using Rid-X. Was advised to put a pkg of regular yeast in and it would do the trick.
I have washed and dried rag quilts at home before, but will definitely go to the laundromat for the next ones. BTW if you dry them at home empty the lint filter often, you will be surprised how fast it fills up with just one rag quilt.

alleyoop1 01-24-2011 05:04 AM

I would think cotton thread would deteriorate in a septic tank, but polyester might not.

sap 01-24-2011 05:20 AM

I've made many rag quilts out of old blue jeans, they shed when washed. I'm sure they would plug up the plumbing and my washing machine. I always go to the laundrymat better theirs than mine.

Fabaddict 01-24-2011 06:15 AM

my dad owned a laundromat. He really hated to have to clean the traps from someone washing a rag quilt in one of his washers. Laundromats have the same problems as we do. Prices at laundromats are going up too - equipment has to be repaired, cleaned etc. Some laundromats even have septic systems. Why treat them any different than you do your own?

BellaBoo 01-24-2011 06:22 AM

We have a septic system, it uses chlorine tablets and an auto paddle to keep agitated and we have a red light that comes on if there is a problem (way back in a closet so who sees it anyway) I think anything that can be flushed has been! We don't use RidX but have the system checked every year and so far it hasn't had to be pumped but once in over 20 years. The one thing that was found that wasn't broke down was plastic straws. I'm careful not to have any in the dishwasher anymore.

mimee4 01-24-2011 06:23 AM

Interesting "thread" on this forum. Never thought of any of these problems. Thanks for mentioning it.

smiles 01-24-2011 06:50 AM

Never had a problem, have been on a septic system for 21 years.