Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread in Septic Tank? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-septic-tank-t93034.html)

mannem 01-24-2011 06:58 AM

Erma Bombeck would have found this 'thread' very inspirational :-)

Baba71 01-24-2011 06:59 AM

I live in the city with regular sewer system so I don't worry about the septic system, but my drain from the washer can get clogged if I wash the rag quilts , so I do mine at the laundry mat. They are equipped to handle the lint.( larger drain pipes) :-D

granny216 01-24-2011 07:03 AM

I was told when I first started making the rag quilts to do them at a laundy place which I always do in the first 3 or 4 washes. You will be surprised how much thread comes out. Well worth the trip and I use one of the large tumble ones for a full quilt or larger.

Originally Posted by didi
Someone mentioned washing quilts if you have a septic tank.

I have noticed when I wash my quilts after sewing them, I get alot of thread in my washer. At least when I do the Rag Quilts. Does this hurt my septic tank???

GrannieAnnie 01-24-2011 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
Quilts are made of cotton,wouldn't that just go away with the the stuff you flush down once a month?Does that make since?

That's what I was thinking. Cotton will deteriorate after a while-------and in a septic tank, I wouldn't think it would take long.

Connie in CO 01-24-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by kwilter

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
Quilts are made of cotton,wouldn't that just go away with the the stuff you flush down once a month?Does that make since?

The once a month stuff is - Rid-X
We had to use it when we lived in IN. and had a septic system.
I've also been told to wash the rag quilts at a laundromat.

Believe I'd go with this, just to be sure!

I have a rag quilt almost ready to clip the ends,so laundromat,here i come.

Grandma Libby 01-24-2011 07:59 AM

I am a relatively NEW quilter but because I saw postings about people ruining their washing machines, when I do a rag quilt, I make a trip to the laundromat! I have a septic system, as well, so if there is any question about that, I certainly am glad I've taken both of my rag quilts to the laundromat for washing.

katiebear1 01-24-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieSue
I just recently washed a rag quilt for the first time. I knew it might clog my pipes so I cut the lower part of a sheer panty hose( about 10 inches) and attached it with a rubber band to the end of the hose that drains my washer. Whew!! Good thing I did cause it was almost full of threads by the time they cycle finished. This worked great for me

What a GREAT idea!

Donnamarie 01-24-2011 09:37 AM

I always go to the laundry mat to wash them for the first time. It even said to do so on the directions so you won't ruin your washer and dryer.

cpfrog 01-24-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieSue
I just recently washed a rag quilt for the first time. I knew it might clog my pipes so I cut the lower part of a sheer panty hose( about 10 inches) and attached it with a rubber band to the end of the hose that drains my washer. Whew!! Good thing I did cause it was almost full of threads by the time they cycle finished. This worked great for me

My mom (who originally had a cesspool before sewers went in) always had a "knee high" attached to her drain hose in the stationery sink. Even with wash. mach. filters, it still trapped the lint.

Deenie 01-24-2011 10:07 AM

I have made a lot of rag quilts and have a sepic tank, so i took them to town to a laundry mat, just in case it would do something to my sepic tank. We just had ours cleaned out, it had been 6 years. In KS it cost $ 300 ! So i would take them to town.