Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Stash???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-stash-t42111.html)

jamh 04-08-2010 08:42 AM

ok so we talk about fabric stash, what about thread stach? I'm trying to build mine up, whats the best way?

Do you buy thread on discount?

Do you buy in bulk?

Do you buy a certin brand?

Or anything goes?

MadQuilter 04-08-2010 09:09 AM

I just picked up 5 spools of neutral Star thread. (I read somewhere that Star thread is produced by Coats and Clark). It handles real well in my machine. Recently, I also ordered a few color sets of the Connecting Threads thread.

Once, I ordered a set of small spools thinking I would use it for applique. It really sounded too good to be true.....and it was. The thread is real crap but I couldn't return it. So I use it in small pieces to keep it from knotting up. ....and one of these days, I will toss the whole bin in the trash.

sewcrafty 04-08-2010 09:10 AM

I have 3 different kinds of thread. Machine quilting, hand quilting, & all purpose/cotton. Multiple colors of each. I like doing hand applique so I've gotten quite a bit of colors. I usually wait until they're on sale and then grab a bunch.

Pam 04-08-2010 09:49 AM

I have started building up on decorative threads. I especially like the rayons.

I am quilting the sky in a landscape quilt in feathers with a very pale dove grey rayon. I am hoping that it looks like billowy clouds when I get done.

QBeth 04-08-2010 11:31 AM

My Babylock loves Coats & Clark so I have a whole array of colors. My Husqvarna (had it about a year) prefers the ritzy, all cotton, Mettler thread so I'm building that stash. I'm always scouting shops for their discount/discontinued bin for expensive threads of which there are only one spool; if its a large spool, it's worth buying.

quiltluvr 04-08-2010 11:35 AM

I worked at a fabric shop years ago and I bought every color of Gutermann we carried. I store what I can fit of it a Sulky clear plastic carrier. I have a Janome and it likes the Gutermann.

I have lots of free sample spools of all kinds that I haven't even opened or tried yet. One day................

BellaBoo 04-08-2010 11:40 AM

I started building my thread stash by trial and error. Some threads were very expensive and my machine didn't like some of it. Connecting Treads sets are great to build up a thread stash. I would suggest buying one spool of any brand thread and trying it out then look for the thread sets and sales.

littlehud 04-08-2010 05:14 PM

Mine really grew when I found Connecting Threads. I love their threads. Great colors. And the price is right.

shopaholic97 04-08-2010 05:45 PM

We have a sewing show in Toronto each year when I stock up on my thread - embroidery & quilting. I was told years ago not to keep thread too long as it breaks down, I am not sure if this is true or not but I stick with it.l

craftybear 04-08-2010 06:59 PM

Thanks for starting this cool thread!