Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Survey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-survey-t291286.html)

AVFD215 09-19-2017 02:03 AM

Thread Survey

Curiosity has gotten the best of me.
How many of us use ( and why):
1. Same thread in the bobbin ad the top
2. Different thread, same color
3. Different thread, different color.

Thanks
Mike

Becky Andersen 09-19-2017 02:09 AM

Depends on the project. For machine embroidery I always use bobbin thread unless doing lace then I use the same thread top and bottom. When just sewing, I admit I will try to use similar colors in top and bottom as I attempt to use up partially filled bobbins but for the most part I do like to use the same thread in the in both when working on a quilt or garment or another project.

ckcowl 09-19-2017 02:19 AM

All of the above. Sometimes I use same top & bottom. ( sometimes it helps make things sew better)
sometimes I may use two different threads same color....maybe I have connecting threads cotton wound on a bobbin then find I have the same color in aurifil. ( just an example)
sometimes the back or bottom ( bobbin) threads is going to show, I need a different color than on the top. Sometimes I'm just using up bobbins and the colors don't matter, sometimes I'm using up spools and again ( when piecing) the color doesn't matter. It just depends.

QuiltnNan 09-19-2017 03:03 AM

since i use prewounds, the bobbin color is most always the translucent white of my stash. mostly, the 'white' disappears into the backing color. occasionally, i change the bobbin to match the top for a specific look.

patsan 09-19-2017 03:24 AM

For piecing I use the same. For machine quilting, at times I have changed the bobbin thread color.

maminstl 09-19-2017 03:38 AM

all of the above for piecing. For quilting, I usually use the same color top and bottom.

SusieQOH 09-19-2017 04:03 AM

I'm done all, but mainly 1. I do it for convenience more than anything. I wind about 10 bobbins at a time.

Annie68 09-19-2017 05:35 AM

Same for me

Sewnoma 09-19-2017 05:59 AM

For piecing I mostly just care about how thin the thread is, and not too dark if I'm piecing lights. So I'll use whatever on top & bottom as long as it's about same thickness (or thinness, as the case may be).

For quilting, it really depends on the quilt - what colors are already involved and what my goals are. Often I try to match the bottom thread to the backing color but sometimes I might go for contrast or use a variegated thread; on the top I might either try to match the top color for something like SITD quilting, or I might go with a bold contrast if I'm doing FMQ that I want to have show up. I also tend to use a lot of variegated thread on top in my quilting if I'm doing baby quilts. If I'm going to be doing very dense quilting like for a modern quilt, I usually use my thinnest threads in top & bottom....unless maybe it's an art quilt in which case I might pick a heavier thread.

So I guess my answer is, "it varies, greatly". :)

Boston1954 09-19-2017 06:10 AM

I tried using different threads but the machine got a headache. I do sometime use same thread and different colors.