Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread for winding your own bobbins? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-winding-your-own-bobbins-t172203.html)

nannyrick 12-16-2011 07:36 AM

Thread for winding your own bobbins?

I wind my own bobbins on my newer machine, (Juki 2010q).
What kind of all around thread do you use for this. I use prewounds
for my Brother, (sewing and Embroidery) machine, but these do not fit
my Juki. Do you use cotton or poly?:confused:
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jcrow 12-16-2011 07:42 AM

I would like to know the answer to this also. I always use cotton thread in my Bernina 830. I don't think I've ever used poly thread on my sewing machine. I've been afraid to try it.

T-Anne 12-16-2011 07:43 AM

I always use cotton thread, never use poly. :-)

GrannieAnnie 12-16-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com (Post 4785933)
I wind my own bobbins on my newer machine, (Juki 2010q).
What kind of all around thread do you use for this. I use prewounds
for my Brother, (sewing and Embroidery) machine, but these do not fit
my Juki. Do you use cotton or poly?:confused:
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use the same thread I'm sewing with

Candace 12-16-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 4785952)
I use the same thread I'm sewing with

Ditto. Why over think it? :>

Scissor Queen 12-16-2011 07:55 AM

I almost always use the same thread in the top and bottom. I use Aurifil, Mettler and Prescencia for the most part and King Tut and Wonderfil once in a while. Once in a while when I'm quilting I'll use different colors in the top and bottom and once in a great while I'll even use a different weight in the top and bottom.

Lori S 12-16-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4786000)
I almost always use the same thread in the top and bottom. I use Aurifil, Mettler and Prescencia for the most part and King Tut and Wonderfil once in a while. Once in a while when I'm quilting I'll use different colors in the top and bottom and once in a great while I'll even use a different weight in the top and bottom.

I agree . The only "always" exceptions are when I am using invisable ( monofilament) , or mettalic threads. On rare occasions I have been know to match the bobbin thread using these threads , but rarely.

dunster 12-16-2011 08:12 AM

I like to use Bottom Line in the bobbin. It's thin, lasts a long time in the bobbin, and doesn't take up as much room in the seam. Sometimes I use Bottom Line in the top too!

hobo2000 12-16-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 4786062)
I like to use Bottom Line in the bobbin. It's thin, lasts a long time in the bobbin, and doesn't take up as much room in the seam. Sometimes I use Bottom Line in the top too!

I am with you on this. It has made such a difference as I like to do more intricate pieceing and it makes the seam lay flatter and it is so much stronger.

GrannieAnnie 12-16-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4786000)

the machine I use the most doesn't like different weights of thread while sewing. But I don't often need it anyway.