Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Threading needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/threading-needles-t321767.html)

Rhonda K 11-04-2023 03:56 AM

I use a small magnifying glass with a light on it to help thread the needle.

pennyhal2 11-04-2023 08:57 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I'll see what works for my machine.

Peckish 11-04-2023 09:51 AM

Which sewing machine is it? We might be able to help.

I have a Brother 1500 with a needle threader, I've run into a lot of frustrated 1500 owners who hate the needle threader, they can't get it to work. But it turns out they just don't understand how it works. Once I show them and walk them through it, they're delighted because it's so easy. Maybe that's the case with this machine?

quiltedsunshine 11-04-2023 01:03 PM

I agree about the humming bird threader. It's great! Also a top-stitch needle has a bigger eye, so is easier to thread.

Gemm 11-04-2023 05:37 PM

I'd love to know the trick of the Brother 1500 needle threader, Peckish - I still haven't figured it out because I don't actually NEED it yet but I have a feeling it won't be long before I'll be wanting it... :-)

mmunchkins 11-04-2023 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8622957)
Which sewing machine is it? We might be able to help.

I have a Brother 1500 with a needle threader, I've run into a lot of frustrated 1500 owners who hate the needle threader, they can't get it to work. But it turns out they just don't understand how it works. Once I show them and walk them through it, they're delighted because it's so easy. Maybe that's the case with this machine?

I think I am all right all the way until you let go of the thread and the threader. I CANNOT coordinate them both. I used to be able to use it, but it had been several years since I did it successfully.

pennyhal2 11-04-2023 06:18 PM

Got the hummingbird threader...and then learned that it was not for threading the needle in the sewing machine!!! I'm a slow learner I guess. A friend dropped off a sewing machine he thought that I could use. I told him I'd pass it on to a gal we both know. I was Bought jeans needles for that machine and that was easy to thread. The machine had a "needle threader" but it is useless. The only machine that I've had experience with that had a needle threader that actually works every time is my Babylock.

Besides, I already had nine...and each one does something better than the others...that's my excuse for having so many machines. I have a friend who has 32.

Tartan 11-04-2023 07:11 PM

My eyes, teeth and body are reaching their expiration date soon, I think.

Peckish 11-05-2023 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by pennyhal2 (Post 8622857)
. I was thinking that maybe there might be out there needles that actually have a larger hole but aren't just larger/thicker. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

I agree with Munchkins - the Topstitch needles have a larger eye.

Originally Posted by Gemm (Post 8622993)
I'd love to know the trick of the Brother 1500 needle threader, Peckish - I still haven't figured it out because I don't actually NEED it yet but I have a feeling it won't be long before I'll be wanting it... :-)

I haven't found a decent video on YouTube. Are you on FB? There is a great group there called "Brother Pq1500SL and Baby Lock Accomplish /Jane Sewing Machines", there is a very clear and helpful video posted in the group.

Originally Posted by mmunchkins (Post 8622999)
I think I am all right all the way until you let go of the thread and the threader. I CANNOT coordinate them both. I used to be able to use it, but it had been several years since I did it successfully.

Why do you need to let go of the threader? I usually hold on to the tail of the thread until the threader pulls it through, *then* I let go of the threader. Maybe your machine is different?

Yiaya 11-05-2023 04:24 PM

I put the thread right up on the top part of the needle and use the grove as a slide. Slips right in. Took a bit to become accustomed to it but now I don’t really even look for the eye.