Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading needles >

Threading needles

Threading needles

Old 11-03-2023, 10:23 AM

Default Threading needles

Maybe I need new glasses, but threading needles has always been difficult. My sewing machines has a automatic needle threader that actually works. However, a friend brought over a new sewing machine for me to figure out how to make it work,and the needle threader just doesn't do the job. I was thinking that maybe there might be out there needles that actually have a larger hole but aren't just larger/thicker. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or. have a hint to make threading the needled easier?
Old 11-03-2023, 12:34 PM

Place a small piece of white paper behind the needle...the eye shows up much better.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:37 PM

With my vision issues I have a really hard time threading needles of any sort. What works best for me are the "bird" ones like the one shown in this video. There are some other makers but these are easily found at sewing shops or of course on Amazon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWm...nel=123Dreamit

They have a little hook much like on many machine needle threaders. I can easily feel my way into the needle and catch the thread on the hook. They also fit in my hands nicely and I can typically find them easily when I drop them!
Old 11-03-2023, 01:39 PM
Gay

The needle threader has a very fine wire to catch and pull the thread through, if it is 'off' a bit or broken it won't work. Ask me how I know this. I use jeans needles with a larger eye as I have the same problem.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:16 PM

Some sewing machines come with a magnifying glass option.
If not available for your machine, I would get a pair of magnifying glasses.
Old 11-03-2023, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
The needle threader has a very fine wire to catch and pull the thread through, if it is 'off' a bit or broken it won't work. Ask me how I know this. I use jeans needles with a larger eye as I have the same problem.
Agree ... the needle threader wire can be bent very easily.

Also, if you have moved the needle from its "home" position, the threader will not do it's job.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:16 PM

I use a hummingbird threader a LOT. it works great and is cute as well.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:04 PM

Try a topstitch needle. The hole is supposed to be bigger.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

The best auto needle threader I have ever used was on my Singer Quantum. It beats the new high end models in the shops now. One push and the needle was threaded. I never had to worry about the type of thread or the size of needle. It just worked and felt like pushing a feather. So I know a good quality threader can be made for a machine.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:48 AM

I watched a youTube video on some sewing tips a few months ago, primarily for using vintage machines. One of the tips in it was to cut the thread on a diagonal for threading a needle. I was having a hard time threading my machines since they are both vintage Singers and don't have an automatic threader (my reading vision is also not the best). I was skeptical at first, but it does work for me, not only for threading a machine but also a sewing needle. Sometimes I have to cut the thread several times because the thread frays a bit, but eventually I get the machine threaded.

Shari