Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Threads driving me crazy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/threads-driving-me-crazy-t293942.html)

lindaschipper 01-09-2018 06:13 AM

Threads driving me crazy

When piecing or quilting all day, the little pieces of threads that accumulate on my clothes are driving me crazy. I won't mention walking through the house for something and the numerous times I've picked up threads off the carpet, or having to answer the door covered with thread. Sure I have one of those sticky rollers for lint etc that I try to use often, but it's not enough. Thinking about taking an old plastic flannel backed table cloth and making a bib apron from it to catch the threads.....maybe even put one on the floor under my machine. Would you do this, or am I suddenly getting excessive in my old age??

SusieQOH 01-09-2018 06:16 AM

I'm having the same problem. I wear a couple of zippered sweatshirt things for warmth and comfort and one of them is a magnet! I have to pull each one off. The washer and dryer do nothing.
Your idea is hilarious! :D I probably will just pick and complain but you should go for it!

ArtsyOne 01-09-2018 06:32 AM

Same problem - the hardwood floors are fine because I can sweep them easily, but the area rugs are a real pain to vacuum. And don't get me started on my sofa - the fabric seems like a terry cloth and nothing gets the threads off that. I've taken to covering it with a sheet. Good thing the only person who comes over is my daughter and she has her own issues with dog hair.

Tartan 01-09-2018 07:24 AM

I have one of the weighted pin cushions with a thread bag that sits on the end of my sewing table on the right. All my clipped threads go in it as I cut them off. It really helps and it doesn't take long to get into the habit of using it.

jokir44 01-09-2018 07:32 AM

Maybe if you go outside with your blowdryer you can get your clothes clean.

elnan 01-09-2018 07:32 AM

As a friend once observed, "We come with strings attached". I would rather deal with the strings than the fine belly hair left by kitty. I buy the sticky rollers by the carton. Like a mechanic with grease embedded in his hands, it goes with the territory.

tscweaves 01-09-2018 07:40 AM

I have small plastic containers on each of my machines for clipping ends. It does keep it a little under control but the area rug is a magnet. The lap cover is not a bad idea. I wove one for spinning, it is dark on one side and light on the other. When I sit at the wheel and spin if the fiber is dark, I use the light side and vice versa. Fibers are as bad as threads:D

bungalow59 01-09-2018 07:40 AM

Lint brush... one of my favorite 'notions'. I keep one on my sewing table and roll myself before I leave the room.
It helps a lot and keeps me from embarrassing myself if I jump in the car to run a quick errand.

Austinite 01-09-2018 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by bungalow59 (Post 7979752)
Lint brush... one of my favorite 'notions'. I keep one on my sewing table and roll myself before I leave the room.
It helps a lot and keeps me from embarrassing myself if I jump in the car to run a quick errand.

I need to do this, recently went to Target and realized when I was there that my favorite sweater had threads ALL over it lol

Anniedeb 01-09-2018 07:45 AM

I use a thread cup also. I keep a roll of wide masking tape and take a long strip of that and use it to pounce up and down on the carpet to quickly get the strays.