Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Threads driving me crazy

Threads driving me crazy

When piecing or quilting all day, the little pieces of threads that accumulate on my clothes are driving me crazy. I won't mention walking through the house for something and the numerous times I've picked up threads off the carpet, or having to answer the door covered with thread. Sure I have one of those sticky rollers for lint etc that I try to use often, but it's not enough. Thinking about taking an old plastic flannel backed table cloth and making a bib apron from it to catch the threads.....maybe even put one on the floor under my machine. Would you do this, or am I suddenly getting excessive in my old age??

I'm having the same problem. I wear a couple of zippered sweatshirt things for warmth and comfort and one of them is a magnet! I have to pull each one off. The washer and dryer do nothing.
    Your idea is hilarious! I probably will just pick and complain but you should go for it!

Same problem - the hardwood floors are fine because I can sweep them easily, but the area rugs are a real pain to vacuum. And don't get me started on my sofa - the fabric seems like a terry cloth and nothing gets the threads off that. I've taken to covering it with a sheet. Good thing the only person who comes over is my daughter and she has her own issues with dog hair.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Power Poster
    I have one of the weighted pin cushions with a thread bag that sits on the end of my sewing table on the right. All my clipped threads go in it as I cut them off. It really helps and it doesn't take long to get into the habit of using it.

Maybe if you go outside with your blowdryer you can get your clothes clean.

As a friend once observed, "We come with strings attached". I would rather deal with the strings than the fine belly hair left by kitty. I buy the sticky rollers by the carton. Like a mechanic with grease embedded in his hands, it goes with the territory.

I have small plastic containers on each of my machines for clipping ends. It does keep it a little under control but the area rug is a magnet. The lap cover is not a bad idea. I wove one for spinning, it is dark on one side and light on the other. When I sit at the wheel and spin if the fiber is dark, I use the light side and vice versa. Fibers are as bad as threads
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Lint brush... one of my favorite 'notions'. I keep one on my sewing table and roll myself before I leave the room.
    It helps a lot and keeps me from embarrassing myself if I jump in the car to run a quick errand.

Quote Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
    Lint brush... one of my favorite 'notions'. I keep one on my sewing table and roll myself before I leave the room.
    It helps a lot and keeps me from embarrassing myself if I jump in the car to run a quick errand.
    I need to do this, recently went to Target and realized when I was there that my favorite sweater had threads ALL over it lol

I use a thread cup also. I keep a roll of wide masking tape and take a long strip of that and use it to pounce up and down on the carpet to quickly get the strays.

Blog Entries
    I set my sewing machine on a microfiber cloth. All the thread attach there. (there is no cleaning that cloth, I just rotate it, and flip it, until it is totally covered with threads, and then get a new one.)

I really don't have a problem, but I do so much chain sewing that I don't have many threads. The only thing the washer and dryer can't handle is a microfiber dishcloth. I wonder if one would be better for thread removal than a lint roller. When I was using lint rollers on my pants when I was working, the dog hair clogged them so quickly. There are some loose threads on my design wall. I will try a microfiber cloth and let you know.

This brush will take thread and pet hair off anything. I was skeptical but it works.
    http://shop.flylady.net/p/(RUB-BOGO) Now it's buy one get one free.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Mine gets mixed in with the dog hair on my shirt! Seriously, using Guterman's polyester avoids the problem for me. I also have a "cat food" can beside my machine and pick up threads as I sew.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

When people ask me what my clothing style is, I answer "dog hair and thread". LOL
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I wear jeans & knit shirts when I sew. The threads don't stick to them too bad. I like the idea of making an apron of a tablecloth so that the threads shed off. That would be cute with some type of binding around it and wouldn't be hard to make. I wear an all cotton apron when I cook with good clothes on. I don't know why that wouldn't work for sewing.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I made and wear Janet Clare’s Artisan apron, there are lots of patterns on Pinterest for similar styles and it keeps my clothes clear of thread most of the time

About stray pieces of thread: I just tell people, "I come with strings attached."

We purchased an under-desk mat for under the table where I quilt. It's a hard surface, flat, so easy to clean up.

I use a bristle brush, also known as toilet cleaning brush - that has never seen a toilet - to "scratch up" threads from the rug. It works.
    Last edited by cathyvv; 01-09-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    I wear demon jeans & shirt for some reason threads do not stick to these. If I wear a sweater it's a thread magnet.

Cat hair and thread is a fashion accessory in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
    LOL! You're going to have to explain this to me, because I am a seriously scandalous person when it comes to being presentable. During gardening season, if I'm working in the garden and need something from home depot, I just jump on my bike and go get it. Mud and all. I think it helps that I am short and buxom, so most of the dirt I accumulate is under the equator (my bustline) and therefore invisible to me, lol. I'm sure its the same with thread.

Blog Entries
    I was at a workshop with an Handi Quilter educator in the fall, she wore a bib apron, She said most threads and lint would stick to it, plus it had pockets for tools etc.

Me, I have 5 pets, a few loose threads are not going to make any difference. I do not have carpets in my home, so cleaning them is not an issue.

I do notice that some fabrics, denim as mentioned and Ponte knits do not attract thread and lint as much as other fabrics. Wool sweaters are the worse.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    I was in my LQS the other day and noticed we all had strings attached! I wear them proudly and I do sweep my floors a lot! Lol
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Tartan....I do have a thread catcher on my sewing desk, trash can underneath the desk and lint rollers on the cutting table....sometimes I make little piles of threads and then throw them away making sure they hit the can. So why am I always covered with threads??? I swear, they multiply faster than rabbits!!

Like others, my threads are camouflaged by the dog hair from two Goldens. But seriously, the only time I am cautious about leaving the house without either one is if I'm going to a restaurant, volunteering at the hospital or going to church. Other destinations have to take me as I am.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast