Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Three days and counting....fffffmq (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/three-days-counting-fffffmq-t175925.html)

AnnieH 01-17-2012 12:53 AM

Three days and counting....fffffmq

Three days is how long I've been trying to cajole, threat and medicate my Pfaff QE4 to FMQ. I've spent hours researching (it has the shortest and most useless manual ever) and trying things out. I've changed needle sizes, threads, re-threaded again and again, dropped dogs, all sorts of options in the toolbox etc etc BUT I still get breakages time and again. But I'm not beaten yet. I'll keep on trying.
On the positive side, there are things on my machine that I didn't know before and all that internet searching has led to some interesting diversions via some fascinating quilting sites, blogs and Youtube. Good job I'm retired now. I get the long walk with the dog done and then it's my duelling session for the rest of the day (I break off for meal prep but DH keeps me supplied with copious cups of tea).

Day 4 here I come.

Annie

quilterella 01-17-2012 01:36 AM

:thumbup:Good Luck...patience and perseverence.:thumbup:

katier825 01-17-2012 02:10 AM

Keep trying! It can take quite a while of practice to get the hang of it. Then one day, all of a sudden it will look fabulous! LOL

You may be moving the quilt too quickly, which can result in breakage. Another thing I came across recently is that when my spool gets low, sometimes the thread doesn't want to pull off as easily. I turn the spool the other way and it works better. I think it was getting caught on itself when it pulls from inside of the spool.

Some people have good luck leaving the feed dogs up. Mine doesn't work well that way. I'm guessing it has something to do with the amount of pressure on the presser foot (automatic on my Viking Sapphire). I could probably go in and change the settings, but it works fine when I drop the feed dogs, so that's what I stick with.

toadmomma 01-17-2012 03:33 AM

One thing I do is never put my thread on the spindle on the machine, I put it in a cup to the side of the machine and then thread as usual, then my thread does not break , see if this helps

GrandmaPeggy 01-17-2012 03:51 AM

Try changing the thread.... it could be a bad/old spool. Good luck!

Joset 01-17-2012 05:40 AM

make sure you are using a good thread. #50 weight.
superior thread or essential is good.

CoyoteQuilts 01-17-2012 06:30 AM

Speed up the machine and slow down the hands. You shall be surprised with the results....

joyce888 01-17-2012 07:13 AM

I have the same machine and I agree with you a 100%. I use Gutterman or Mettler thread only.

yngldy 01-17-2012 11:10 AM

Read somewhere that it depends on how the thread comes off the spool. Some threads are just wound like a bobbin and some are criscrossed on the spool. Mine machine holder is horizontal so I put the extra spindle in which is vertical and that made a difference. Might try that.

Tartan 01-17-2012 11:18 AM

Sounds like you have enough advice, have viewed enough sites and tried every trick so I will just say, "keep at it!" You will prevail or die trying.:D