Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift Store Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-store-fabric-t104665.html)

Mamagoat 03-04-2011 02:06 AM

I found a piece of cotton fabric @ our Goodwill.I wash it & put in my stash.We have a Catholic church thrift that I prowl for fabrics.Saves me money & is so much fun.

tmg 03-04-2011 03:35 AM

quilts

sew_sew 03-04-2011 05:18 AM

Mixed in with the fabric is often material that won't do for quilting, but will be great for doll clothes, etc. I make doll clothes for vintage dolls that I restore so for me this is great......if a bit a polyester double knit in the bag, I'll send it back next time I have things to send to the thrift shop.

luvstoquilt 03-04-2011 07:14 AM

I go home and wash them first then add them to my stash. I love it when I am ready to make a new quilt and I get to go through my fabrics and make the decision on what to use. Most of the time I have all I need to get started! I also go to church sales where the fabric is really reasonable. I must admit shopping for fabric at the sales was better in NJ than IL..lots more quilters in this area!

newbee 03-04-2011 08:09 AM

I love finding fabric at the thrift shops. Once I found three complete quilt kits--pattern, backing and all--for $3.95 a kit. I haven't sewn those yet. But I have used thrift shop fabric (washed) for charity quilts. I also buy 100% cotton scrubs, men's shirts, and sheets for quilts. I love hunting for these things at the thrift shops. In fact, tomorrow, all of the Goodwills in the Denver area are having a 50% off everything sale....I'll be there bright and early!

Quiltbeagle 03-04-2011 09:14 AM

I pick up 100% cotton shirts at my local thrift store and am now making a plaid quilt out of a lot of them. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

cabinqltr 03-04-2011 09:29 AM

I always check for fabric at the thrifts. Never know what may turn up, and have gotten some nice bargains.
Our daughter went this week and came home with a bag of white fabric. It was all stapled shut no way to feel the quality or anything. When we opened it there were 10 yards of very nice , white, good quality 108 inch wide quilt backing. Now that was the "jackpot"--price, $2.99. I was thrilled, needless to say. Ruth

lillybeck 03-04-2011 09:30 AM

I just recently found a whole clothes baxket full of fabric for five dollars at a thrift store. The smallest piece in it is 12 by 12 sqaures. I often buy curtains or sheets.

BJ SewKkrazzy 03-04-2011 09:38 AM

I always check thrift stores also...and prewash is a must, even though most of the stores require donations to be washed before donating...I started my stash collecting in thrift stores in Sacramento, working in outside sales, in between calls, I would hit the thrift stores, and my territory alone had 11!!!!! And Sacto. gets a lot of transplants from European countries, and first thing they do is get rid of their clothes to go "American". And the skirts, dresses and blouses they gave up were made with beautiful fabrics! But I used to buy full gowns of satin, velvet or moires for less than $5! I had such a huge collection that when I moved, I had to trim back to what I really wanted to keep!!!!!

LivelyLady 03-04-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I never seem to find any fabric for quilting Boo Hoo!! :D:D

Me neither :cry: