Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrift Store Fabric

I shop thrift stores 2-3 times a year with my niece. She goes every month. A lot of you all on here post your fabric finds. So what do you do with these fabrics? Maybe I should go more often to see what I can find?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I make quilts with them!! Always wash them as soon as you get them home, you never know what sort of home they have been in.

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    I'm never lucky enough to find any craft items or fabric at the thrift stores. And I love your little doggie. Looks like my Missy I had.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I never seem to find any fabric for quilting Boo Hoo!! :D:D

I don't ever find any either. =(

Blog Entries
    Thrift stores in my area supply almost all of my quilting fabrics! Saves me a ton of money, and I always have on hand plenty of beautiful fabrics.. Also, friends give me whatever they run across, so I am truly blessed!

Oh, I do! I love to thrift shop. I don't just get fabrics, I get curtains, bed skirts, sheets, etc. and these can be cut up and made into quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I make quilts with them!! Always wash them as soon as you get them home, you never know what sort of home they have been in.

Same here. I found some at the thrift store yesterday 6 bags and nice pieces. Out of all the pieces that were in the bags only one piece had a cut in the fabric but I will cut it into a workable squares and make a quilt.

I dont seem to find much fabric either, but I find lots of quilting magazines!

I work at a thrift shop & we get alot of fabric in. There are a few quilters that come in every few days just to see whats out.There are alot of cotton mens/womens clothing that makes great fabric for quilts, you just have to poke around a bit, like a treasure hunt.

I don't find fabric in mine either. I knew they had sheets. One day when they were open, I went to buy some. The week before they had sheets and pillowcases 50 % off. You got it, the shelves were basicallly bare

I rarely find fabric either but I love a Sunday afternoon stroll and search at the thrift store.

jme
    I went today and found several bolts of fabric. I never find this much and of course didn't have much money with me. I did get about 5yds of a white on black print for $5. There were only a few bolts of cotton most of them were poly or satin feeling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    wash...wash...WASH !!

I have yet to find fabric yardage or scraps, at a thrift store.

Blog Entries
    Some I make quilts with others I add to my stash.

Me too...and I buy clothes to cut up as well. Washing is essential. I bought some the other day and it was well over 25 years old (still had a store/price label on and that particular store closed 25 years ago).

Thrift stores are very "hit or miss". Depends on who donates. For every many many trips I make to them, I might find something. Always fun though.

I find a lot of new fabric as well as some really nice fabric in skirts and dresses. Sometime the piece may be several yards and other time 1/2 yards or less. The price is usually pennies on the dollar compared to what you spend in the quilt shop. Some days they have nothing and the next you go they will have a lot. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thrift Stores around here are to darn expensive...

I found a piece of cotton fabric @ our Goodwill.I wash it & put in my stash.We have a Catholic church thrift that I prowl for fabrics.Saves me money & is so much fun.

tmg
    quilts

Mixed in with the fabric is often material that won't do for quilting, but will be great for doll clothes, etc. I make doll clothes for vintage dolls that I restore so for me this is great......if a bit a polyester double knit in the bag, I'll send it back next time I have things to send to the thrift shop.

Blog Entries
    I go home and wash them first then add them to my stash. I love it when I am ready to make a new quilt and I get to go through my fabrics and make the decision on what to use. Most of the time I have all I need to get started! I also go to church sales where the fabric is really reasonable. I must admit shopping for fabric at the sales was better in NJ than IL..lots more quilters in this area!

Blog Entries
    I love finding fabric at the thrift shops. Once I found three complete quilt kits--pattern, backing and all--for $3.95 a kit. I haven't sewn those yet. But I have used thrift shop fabric (washed) for charity quilts. I also buy 100% cotton scrubs, men's shirts, and sheets for quilts. I love hunting for these things at the thrift shops. In fact, tomorrow, all of the Goodwills in the Denver area are having a 50% off everything sale....I'll be there bright and early!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast