Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thrift Store Fabric

I pick up 100% cotton shirts at my local thrift store and am now making a plaid quilt out of a lot of them. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

I always check for fabric at the thrifts. Never know what may turn up, and have gotten some nice bargains.
    Our daughter went this week and came home with a bag of white fabric. It was all stapled shut no way to feel the quality or anything. When we opened it there were 10 yards of very nice , white, good quality 108 inch wide quilt backing. Now that was the "jackpot"--price, $2.99. I was thrilled, needless to say. Ruth

Blog Entries
    I just recently found a whole clothes baxket full of fabric for five dollars at a thrift store. The smallest piece in it is 12 by 12 sqaures. I often buy curtains or sheets.

Blog Entries
    I always check thrift stores also...and prewash is a must, even though most of the stores require donations to be washed before donating...I started my stash collecting in thrift stores in Sacramento, working in outside sales, in between calls, I would hit the thrift stores, and my territory alone had 11!!!!! And Sacto. gets a lot of transplants from European countries, and first thing they do is get rid of their clothes to go "American". And the skirts, dresses and blouses they gave up were made with beautiful fabrics! But I used to buy full gowns of satin, velvet or moires for less than $5! I had such a huge collection that when I moved, I had to trim back to what I really wanted to keep!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I never seem to find any fabric for quilting Boo Hoo!! :D:D
    Me neither :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by butterjoy
    Oh, I do! I love to thrift shop. I don't just get fabrics, I get curtains, bed skirts, sheets, etc. and these can be cut up and made into quilts.
    Ditto. I always look for sheets to use for backing. They are generally really soft and you can get some good deals on them. Also, some of them have really cute designs on them.

I forgot to say that I look at men's and women's shirts and blouses to. You can get some really nice looking fabrics and you can get a lot of pieces to use out of them. The thrift stores around my town have raised their prices but it is due to the economy. A lot of people are buying at them because they are cheaper than getting something at Wal-Mart or other department stores. These days we all have to economize as much as we can.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget to get men's silk ties!!!!!

I dont go looking for "fabric". I shop the clothing racks for clothes made of 100% cotton and wool fabrics. I only buy what goodwill has half price that week. When I get them home they go straight to the washer. The washing step is important because, you know, bed bugs are epidemic in this country right now. When i'm watching TV I take a seam ripper to em. Iron and fold, there you are, "fabric". I once got 6+yards of the most beauitful calico floral on black from a skirt for about $2. Sometimes you get really cool buttons and buckles too.

I dont go looking for "fabric". I shop the clothing racks for clothes made of 100% cotton and wool fabrics. I only buy what goodwill has half price that week. When I get them home they go straight to the washer. The washing step is important because, you know, bed bugs are epidemic in this country right now. When i'm watching TV I take a seam ripper to em. Iron and fold, there you are, "fabric". I once got 6+yards of the most beauitful calico floral on black from a skirt for about $2. Sometimes you get really cool buttons and buckles too.

Blog Entries
    I have also found deco fabric and am in the midst of trying to recover our futon couch. I've got it matched on the sides really well, but am stumped on getting the top to match, so we're sitting on a fleece blanket stretched over the couch :roll:

If it weren't for thrift stores, I'd have no stash. Altho it isn't as easy to find fabric as it used to be because I don't go as often. I'd ask where they put the fabric, too. Some hang, some bag (around here, someone usually rips the bag open to feel the fabric), some throw in bins...

Blog Entries
    And lace, sequins, trims, etc.

I received a bag full of fabric cut into 5" strips from my SIL . Very pretty, but came from a smokers home!! Had set them in garage for about 9 months thinking that would help to eliminate odor. WRONG! Then I washed them in soapy water with white vinegar, rinsed well and hung outside to dry. Worked perfectly, smell totally gone.

I am going to take a day and hit all those places in the Kansas City area. We have lots of thrifty type stores.

i haven't found fabric, but a whole stack of quilting books for a quarter each.

I never find any fabric or quilting/sewing items at all. And, I went to 3 different Thrift shops this past weekend.

I just buy cotton prints for quilts.

I use the scraps that I can. Then I think of ways to use the balance of material. Maybe you find a piece perfect to use as a base for a crazy quilt.

I use the scraps that I can. Then I think of ways to use the balance of material. Maybe you find a piece perfect to use as a base for a crazy quilt.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    my DIL finds buttons and other notions for me..She loves to shop...never finds fabric ...

I think our thrift stores here are expensive also. The community I moved from was a more affluent community but their thrift stores charged less. I don't understand that. I have purchased matching cotton curtains and a dust ruffle for a bed that gave me yards and yards of fabric for about $5.00. I also purchase ladies dresses with gathered skirts, men's shirts, and womens blouses for about $2.50 each when I can find something I think will work for quilting. I estimate that it takes over a yard of fabric to make either and I can't purchase fabric for that amount. I seldom find yardage however I did find a heavy cotton green and white stripe that I am going to use to cover the porch swing pads with here in a month or so. That should brighten things up out there since we have green shutters on the house.

I have found wonderful "Fabric Finds" at our local Savers and also at Goodwill's. I always wash all fabrics as soon as I get home. I just love finding these treasures!!

My daughter used to make fun of me until I went to visit her and drug her with me to a couple of Goodwills. Well low and behold, she found a bunch of clothes (some even to take on her upcoming cruise). She doesn't laugh at mom anymore!! Ahhhhh..... paybacks!!

I sew with it - quilts, table runners, wall hangings, whatever I want to make. I usually pass on the really thin cheapy fabric but you'd be surprised what you find sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by mudose8
    I received a bag full of fabric cut into 5" strips from my SIL . Very pretty, but came from a smokers home!! Had set them in garage for about 9 months thinking that would help to eliminate odor. WRONG! Then I washed them in soapy water with white vinegar, rinsed well and hung outside to dry. Worked perfectly, smell totally gone.
    My grandfather was a cigar smoker and although a smoker herself my mother couldn't stand the smell of the house after he would leave from one of his visits (usually every Sunday for supper). Anyway just as soon as grandfather was out the door mother would get a dish towel that she had soaked in vinegar and wrung out. She would walk through the house flapping and waving that towel until it was almost dry. It worked every time and the vinegar smell didn't last but a few minutes. A few years ago Mother moved into a care center and I inherited many of her things. I couldn't believe how yellow and smelly everything was. Then I remembered the vinegar magic and washed everything before bringing it into the house (we are not smokers).
    It worked like magic! Fabrics that had previously looked tea dyed were white as snow and nothing had that musty smell. Even the tea cup collection that she had on the knick knack shelf was yellow. I threw some vinegar in the dishwasher and they look like brand new.

I never seem to find anything to do with quilting or sewing. Sure wish I did. I've donated plenty though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast