Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift Store Shopping--are you picky in what you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-store-shopping-you-picky-what-you-buy-t114381.html)

19angel52 04-08-2011 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
How about you? Are you buying just to buy?

I used to buy just to buy - after all, it's a bargain. No longer! When we recently moved, I was astounded over the STUFF I accumulated! No more...! Not matter how cheap something is, it has to pass the WILL I REALLY USE IT?????

babyboomerquilter 04-08-2011 04:50 AM

I usually will find something to use it for. Its when I'm trying to find something particular and no way can I find it I get really frustrated.

dd 04-08-2011 04:56 AM

Guess I'm picky. They don't have much in my stores but when they do it's mostly poly or something I can't use. I recently donated yds and yds myself so I hope someone used that. I also have people give me their stash. I have inherited fabric stashes from 2 different women and partials from others. I certainly don't need any but, and there is always a but, if I really like it I buy it and when I'm planning something I never have what I need. I love it when JoAnn's has 50% off the marked down fabrics.

sandpat 04-08-2011 05:38 AM

I'm getting more picky about EVERYTHING I buy...not just fabric. I no longer buy an "extra" whatever, just to make sure....I don't buy the "spare"....just because I might loose the 1st one...These crazy price increases on everything have certainly changed the way I shop at all!

champagnebubbles 04-08-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i look but very rarely do i buy anything even when its for pennies.

i find most of the fabric just isn't my taste and i wouldn't even enjoy using it in charity quilts.

i'd rather leave it behind for the next quilter who thinks its a real score then it buy it just cause its a good deal and have it never seen the light of day.

This how I am also
;) ;) :thumbup:

Cassews 04-08-2011 06:34 AM

Do you all have a Habitat for Humanity store in your home town or surrounding areas? A friend of mine works at an interior design store and they donate all their un-used fabric to Habitat for Humanity. I just found this out so I am going to look around and see what I can find there.

cjomomma 04-08-2011 06:37 AM

I used to buy whatever I found in the thrift shops because I didn't know better but now I'm picky. I do the touch, look and will I really use this process before buying now.

lucniak 04-08-2011 06:38 AM

I'm with you I do the same. Of course I have asister who also quilts,she or I will always have what ever we need.LOL

TootieAnn 04-08-2011 06:39 AM

It depends on how it's packaged and what it is. If it's just yardage and it's polyester, I won't even consider it. If it's a bag of fabric and mostly 100% cotton then I'm interested. I once got a beautiful Christmas tree skirt hidden in several bags of fabric from a thrift shop. It wasn't quilted, only pieced. I quilted it last Christmas and happily put it under my tree. I really got some good fabric from those bags as well.

newbee 04-08-2011 06:43 AM

I buy what appeals to me if its the right price. Four thrift shops near me have fabric so I can be picky. I am trying to "destash" so I will only buy the fabric if I know I have a use for it. Saying that, I just bought a panel at a thrift shop for $1.50 and then bought fabric to go with it at a LQS--at $10 a yard! Not my most thrifty moment! LOL.