Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift stores clothing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-stores-clothing-t57737.html)

SherriB 08-03-2010 08:32 PM

I love going to thrift stores with my DD's. It is like a treasure hunt for me.

I have recently started buying 100% cotton blouses and shirts. I have found some of the prettiest color and pattern combinations. I enjoy cutting them apart and starching and ironing the pieces. I hope to make a scrappy quilt from them as soon as I get a good amount of them. I even tease my DD's that I may even "shop" for cotton blouses in their closets. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Does anyone else love to re-purpose clothes this way? I also am adding to my ever growing button collection at the same time. :mrgreen:

hoppyfrog 08-03-2010 09:04 PM

Yes, I have three favorite shops I go to on a regular basis. I have even developed a route through each one. I hit the women's long dresses and skirts first then the men's shirts and if I don't have a large batch by then I cruise past the women's tops. Thrift store shopping is the best.

Gal 08-03-2010 09:43 PM

Yes I am a convert!!!!! I like to make traditional blocks with old fashioned fabrics. It is quite a challenge waiting for the right fabrics to come along but I have several quilts I save for/on the go at once. I iron on a little stiffening on the back if I think the fabric is a little worn just to give it more support. I like my quilts to have that well loved and lived in look right from the beginning! The well washed fabrics are a dream to hand quilt too! I also shop for anything 100% cotton, I try to keep all the same weight fabrics together or I just make a utility quilt with all the odd ball fabrics I have left over, colour is my main focus, so as long as the colours and fabric work together ....bingo. I do not have a stash as such just an ever growing pile of op shop finds to work from but I love the challenge and when I get better at quilting skills I won't mind treating my self to some new fabrics once in a while.

Gal

mygirl66 08-04-2010 03:38 AM

All the time! There is a Salvation Army near by, and every 2nd Tues. of the month, you can get 5 pieces of clothing for $5.00! I love the wool's & cotton shirts and dresses/skirts! It really is like a treasure hunt, and I look forwards to it!

pocoellie 08-04-2010 04:08 AM

I do that also, although not as much anymore, since I have 6 very large plastic totes full of scraps. LOL

SherriB 08-04-2010 04:15 AM

I am planning on making a quilt for my hubby from mens plaid shirts. Crazy Mom Quilts blog has a perfect manly quilt made from shirts. Shirts at our Salvation Army stores go from $1.00 to $2.00. Tomorrow is half-price day at one of our Salvation Army store and I plan on getting several shirts for his quilt.

tdgiffin 08-04-2010 04:30 AM

Wow! you are all so inspiring. Are there any scrappy quilt pattern you would recommend for a beginner? I think I may shop my own closet for some fabric. I have a horrible habit of spilling things on myself. and I have ruined a lot of my shirts. i wear a lot of cotton. Also my mom's husband is a farmer, and I think he has worn out his share of flannel shirts. Wow! you people are great!

CarrieAnne 08-04-2010 04:58 AM

I love the quilts with flannel on one side and blue jeanson the other. They are SO warm!!!!!!! I dont even use batting, just cut squares, same size of each, and put them together. You dont finish the edges, so they unravel a bit.

sewmuchmore 08-04-2010 05:13 AM

Carrianne,
Do you make it like a rag quilt?

kristen0112 08-04-2010 05:17 AM

We have Goodwill pound store (where you purchase by the pound) there have been many times I have bought something there to re-purpose it. Children's clothing do have some really cute prints and fun colors.