Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift stores clothing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-stores-clothing-t57737.html)

pocoellie 08-04-2010 05:17 AM

tdgiffin-try quiltville.com for all kinds of scrappy quilts.

KathyAire 08-04-2010 05:21 AM

I look for jeans in the Goodwill stores because they don't make the kind that I like. It's hard to find jeans that are not low riders..............

Bottle Blonde 08-04-2010 05:35 AM

I just started shopping for mens shirts at the local thrift shop a few weeks ago. Every week they have a tag color of the week -- every item with a certain color tag is $1. Just the back of a mans XXL shirt is almost as much fabric as a FQ. So far I'm finding a lot of dark plaid and stripes - wish I could find more solids and lights. The only part I don't like about taking them apart is removing the breast pocket. I plan to make a rag quilt for my DH when I have enough.

moonrise 08-04-2010 05:47 AM

I like buying kids' jeans (usually size 4 or smaller) and making "booty bag" purses with them. It's a blast to decorate them.

I use adult-sized jeans to make denim rag quilts. Boy are they warm! (And HEAVY! LOL!)

dar627742 08-04-2010 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
I just started shopping for mens shirts at the local thrift shop a few weeks ago. Every week they have a tag color of the week -- every item with a certain color tag is $1. Just the back of a mans XXL shirt is almost as much fabric as a FQ. So far I'm finding a lot of dark plaid and stripes - wish I could find more solids and lights. The only part I don't like about taking them apart is removing the breast pocket. I plan to make a rag quilt for my DH when I have enough.

hi justwonderif you couldn't leave one or two pockets on as part of the pattern,or pockets for remotes cell fhones etc ? nope this helps,dar

hoppyfrog 08-04-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
The only part I don't like about taking them apart is removing the breast pocket. I plan to make a rag quilt for my DH when I have enough.

I cut a square a 1 1/2 to 2" around the pocket. I have a pretty full box right now and I'm planning on making a pocket quilt. I'll probably put sashing around each one to make the squares the same size and pull it together with one color. Some have buttons some don't. I think mixing them up will be fun and it will make a nice quilt for any guy.

Bottle Blonde 08-04-2010 06:19 AM

Making a pocket quilt is a good idea! If the pocket is double stitched to the shirt - I leave it on - too much trouble to remove those!

hobo2000 08-04-2010 06:23 AM

Save your shirt pockets. I have a friend who saves them for me. I make wallquilts for the kids and sew the shirt pockets on the wall hanging so they can put pen, pencils, erasers, etc in each pocket. I usually have some larger ones at the bottom for address books, and notepads things like that. My oldest GD keeps pictures in the pockets and labels them. She 3 hangin over her bed and is asking for a 4th for this Christmas.

ksea 08-04-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Save your shirt pockets. I have a friend who saves them for me. I make wallquilts for the kids and sew the shirt pockets on the wall hanging so they can put pen, pencils, erasers, etc in each pocket. I usually have some larger ones at the bottom for address books, and notepads things like that. My oldest GD keeps pictures in the pockets and labels them. She 3 hangin over her bed and is asking for a 4th for this Christmas.

What a wonderful Idea, my DH has about 50 shirts hanging in the hall closet and when I was just on a shop hop I found a cut of fabric that is chalk board. I am planning on making a wall hanging for several DGD's and I could use the pockets to hold chalk & eraser

hoppyfrog 08-04-2010 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000

Great idea. I also have a handfull of women's shirt pockets with girly material. Think I'll make a wall hanging to go next to my sewing machine :thumbup: