Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift stores clothing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-stores-clothing-t57737.html)

SherriB 08-04-2010 11:42 AM

Our Goodwill has shirts for $4.76. They use color coded taggies on their clothes and certain colors are half-price. I usually buy shirts that are half price, unless the shirt has a pattern or color I really want. O

skydiver70 08-04-2010 11:51 AM

You can also use old ties to make quilts, I haven't made one but have seen pictures. I have made Neck Tie Angels from old ties. They are cute!

Ditter43 08-04-2010 12:17 PM

Oh yes....I bought two shirts and a cotton dress with a full skirt today and spent a whole $1.25!! I look for the largest I can find for the most fabric. I have enough to make a quilt. I love to recycle fabrics!! :-D

ScrapQuilter 08-04-2010 12:47 PM

Lets see some pictures of those neck tie angels.
Sounds interesting..............

clem55 08-04-2010 01:23 PM

My son is a clothes fanatic, loves shopping and buying, and he takes2 oe 3 bags full to GW two or three times a year. I never thought about keeping them for quilts, and I will now. He only buys all cotton or ,linen, no polyesters!!

Ladymurphy 08-04-2010 01:49 PM

We went to several yard sales this weekend and to one thrift shop where I got men's plaid shirts at 3/$1.00 and at the yard sale they were a quarter.

I keep a bag with several shirts and scissors ready to go to work on cutting apart when we are going to be in the car for a while.

tdgiffin 08-04-2010 02:16 PM

Do you have any pictures of things you have made from these clothes?

tdgiffin 08-04-2010 02:18 PM

That is ingenoius! A teacher would love to have one of those too!

gollytwo 08-04-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I love going to thrift stores with my DD's. It is like a treasure hunt for me.

I have recently started buying 100% cotton blouses and shirts. I have found some of the prettiest color and pattern combinations. I enjoy cutting them apart and starching and ironing the pieces. I hope to make a scrappy quilt from them as soon as I get a good amount of them. I even tease my DD's that I may even "shop" for cotton blouses in their closets. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Does anyone else love to re-purpose clothes this way? I also am adding to my ever growing button collection at the same time. :mrgreen:

I've been doing this for years. Actually, I do better at yard sales - great finds of 30s and 40s cotton clothing fabric, cheaper than thrifts.

Gal 08-04-2010 02:32 PM

Gosh $3.99+ is a lot for a shirt, where I shop $2 for the good ones all others $1 and once a week they have a 50c day on selected items giving everything a turn eventually. There is always a 50c table with all kinds of clothing on it too. I also get fabric scraps and lengths for a few cents, nothing over $2. Some places are much more expensive of course, I just shop around. The place I go to is the Salvos, when I was in Australia (Bunbury)) the Salvos was the dearest place so I did not shop there. I go to garage sales and markets and ask all my friends to save old clothes for me if they are just going to chuck them out!

Gal