Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift stores clothing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-stores-clothing-t57737.html)

Mama Bear 08-05-2010 03:29 AM

I go to look for 100% wool skirts or jackets and felt them up for my wool projects. Its a lot cheaper than buying the wool in quilt shops and you have a bigger selection.

litacats 08-05-2010 03:45 AM

the salvo's in canningvale is very cheap, and I have found some wonderful bargains at the good sammies they always have material and it is only $1.00 a piece at ours regardless how much is in it. but I still love text traders at least it is new and you can buy as much as you want

LeeAnn 08-05-2010 04:33 AM

Our local Goodwill charges $3.50 per mens shirt. Hit the garage sales. You can find great shirts for as little as .10 or .25. A great way to stock up and recycle.

Carol W 08-05-2010 04:33 AM

Great ideas!!!

JAGSD 08-05-2010 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
I like buying kids' jeans (usually size 4 or smaller) and making "booty bag" purses with them. It's a blast to decorate them.

I use adult-sized jeans to make denim rag quilts. Boy are they warm! (And HEAVY! LOL!)

I would love to see a picture of your "booty bag" purses. What a neat idea.

scrappylouisa 08-05-2010 04:58 AM

I started recycling clothing when I was in high school. My Grandmother and I would hit the Sally Shop (Salvation Army) and buy a large grocery bag stuffed full of clothing for $1. We would wash all the clothing and then take them all apart. This was during the time that mini skirts were becoming popular and the full gathered skirts and dresses were being discarded. Grandma and I would cut out skirts and blouses for me out of the largest pieces. Then we cut out tops, pants and shorts for my little sisters. The leftover went into a box for quilt blocks. Then we would cut each piece into different size quilt blocks and the strings and small pieces were sewed into String blocks. By the time we finished with an article of clothing there was hardly enough fabric left over for a bird to use in building a nest........and that's what Grandma did with the scraps........placed them outside for the birds.

Jshep 08-05-2010 05:13 AM

Go to yard sales. The shirts are much cheaper. I do not buy blouses because there are too many seams and darts in them, but men's shirts or ladies dresses have quiet a lot of fabric. Just cut the seams out. I cut about an inch around the pockets and also the sewn in lables on the neck piece of the shirts. I think these will be striking in a quilt.

irma tapia 08-05-2010 06:00 AM

Why not use the pocket in the quilt?

SherrieDLux 08-05-2010 06:29 AM

I received 2 large bags of clothes that my granddaughters loved but couldn't wear anymore, I took them all apart and made a quilt for them. You wouldn't believe it brought tears to their eyes to see all their clothes in a quilt they could keep forever...I think you have a great idea going there.
Sherrie

SherrieDLux 08-05-2010 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i made this for my grandaughters from their favorite clothes