Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift stores clothing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-stores-clothing-t57737.html)

ibeesewin 08-05-2010 03:33 PM

Okay.....I LOVE THRIFT STORES.....I was thinking the other day that they need to start a support group for us addicts. Salvation Army is my favorite. Stuff is a mess but part of the fun is digging through all the junk...er....I mean treasures.
I have be decorating my house this summer with all thrift store finds. I am calling it Shabby Sh%t..... :lol:

wtexpricklypear 08-05-2010 03:47 PM

It's funny that y'all are talking about thrift store clothes shopping!!! I just spent the afternoon perusing the Salvation Army shop and found some real gems. I love silk and velvets with a plan to make some crazy quilts. I look for scarves and ties and especially antique sewing items. Last time I found a huge cotton scarf that was made in France. Today I found one of those weight things to hang on my back for better posture!!! The price $1.49!!! I hadn't purchased one before because they were too expensive!!! I found several clear plastic purse/bag that I use to keep my projects in. I never know what I will find!!! There is another huge store in our small town, Citizens in Action. I can't begin to tell all the fine treasures that I have found there!!! I am glad I'm not alone because my family thinks I am a junk collector until they see what I picked up !!! So, lets keep on panning for gold!!!

tonnadesigns 08-05-2010 04:06 PM

In Independence, Missouri, we have a shop called Charity Thrift Store. Every Sunday, there is a tag color for 44 cents. Once a quarter or so, they have and 88cent sale. Every shoe and clothing item is 88 cents. It's awesome. I recently bought 4 pair of those wild, wild women's pants that have some kind of glorious print. One is paisley, one bandana, one tropical, etc... These are either going to be hobo bags or Miche style bags. For 88 cents!I also buy dresses or skirts with silk lining to use for lining in my purses. Men's dress coats work well for that too.

catmcclure 08-05-2010 04:13 PM

Every Sunday our local Goodwill store has one color tag that is $1 per item. I like to go buy men's 100% cotton shirts for $1, since they have a lot of usable fabric. I cut them apart and bag up the fabric. I use the material to make "men's" quilts, since the fabrics aren't as fussy and don't usually have flowers.

sosewcrazy 08-05-2010 04:37 PM

Thrift stores are where I purchase all my wool for my projects. Then I hand dye and felt it.

Annz 08-05-2010 04:38 PM

Oh darn. Another place to buy fabric. I have gone in to shop around and bought a skirt once but hadn't thought of fabric.

shufer1 08-05-2010 04:59 PM

my best friend shopped the second hand stores for satins, brocades, and velvets. From these pieces, she made some of the most awsome quilts. I am fortunate enough to own one, also a beautiful tree skirt.

Silly Sewer Sandi 08-05-2010 05:22 PM

Yep I shop there too!
I have a box of shirts for a flannel quilt from when my husband passed away.
Just can't seem to get them out just yet, it's only been four years and I still smell him on them.
One day I'll just cut them all apart and make a memory quilt
silly sewer sandi

Gal 08-05-2010 05:29 PM

Butterflyblue, I love your quilt, I have been busy saving up scraps and checks to make a similar one, I am so inspired by the 'look' of your quilt, well done.

So glad I am not the only one who loves to shop in thrift stores, my family used to think I was crazy until they saw how much I saved and just what things you can pick up by shopping in these places.

Gal

twinkie 08-05-2010 05:32 PM

What a fantastic idea. You girls are really smart. TY