Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tie quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tie-quilting-t34074.html)

EagarBeez 01-14-2010 03:39 PM

I found this on the internet, it does not say much. What I get from this is that if it's quilted or tied, it's still a quilt.

A quilt is a thick embroidered blanket/comforter, usually in a checkered pattern with raised designs.

A comforter is a thick, quilted, fluffy blanket. Sometimes it’s decorated and colored, but with dye, not embroidered like a quilt. It is usually filled with a synthetic fiber filler. It does not need a cover and is made to be the bedspread. It is usually washed when it gets dirty.

A bedspread is a pre-filled bed cover with stuffing to be used as a decorative and warming bed covering. Normally used as the top cover on your bed. Bedspreads do not require a duvet, duvet cover, or a comforter.

A duvet is a comforter that is filled with down feathers. The duvet is usually white, beige or off-white. It should be placed in a duvet cover. It can be made of down or polyfill.

A duvet cover covers a duvet--like a slip on decorator. Most duvets are not decorated and usually people buy duvet covers. Imagine the duvet as a big flat pillow and the duvet cover as a big pillowcase. They keep the down clean and you can change the color of your bed on a moment’s whim.

As a duvet has a cover around it, it is usually not washed as it does not get dirty. The duvet cover is put in the laundry as a comforter would be. The fact the duvet is not washed means that natural materials (like down) can be used as insulation, which otherwise could be 'damaged' by laundering.

boopisit 01-14-2010 03:46 PM

I have hand quilted some and mostly tied the others...Color coordinate the thread with the quilt and it is beautiful...Yes it is still a QUILT...

maryb119 01-14-2010 04:10 PM

I have tied denim quilts because they are too heavy to quilt but usually I hand quilt.

grandma Janice 01-14-2010 05:02 PM

one very cute baby quilt that I made had two block patterns, one was a nine patch alternated with a teddy bear applique block. When I quilted it I quilted in the ditch on the nine patch and made a cute tie on the teddy bear and outlined the bear. I really liked the combination. I have also tied out a few of my quilts. I still prefer to hand quilt.

mollyoldham 01-14-2010 05:17 PM

Wow! I never expected to get so many responses to the question of tie quilting. My next question is, do you have to baste a quilt you are going to tie?

lfw045 01-14-2010 05:24 PM

Yes, you still have to baste it or pin it before tying it.

Olivia's Grammy 01-14-2010 05:58 PM

I don't baste if I'm going to tie. BUT I do tie like I'm basting. I start the same way as basting, but I use a 3 ply yarn. I use a 5" needle. That's how I space my stitches going across and going down. After I have stitch the entire quilt I cut the yarn between and do the square knot.

Olivia's Grammy 01-14-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by rnjoy
Just clicked into this site and saw the question about tie quilts...made the mistake that you were blogging about necktie quilts. but that is what I am looking for a pattern for a quilt made from neckties..I am looking for my sister who is also a quilter. She thinks it was from a book called My Fathers Ties but doesn't remember the author. Any ideas out there? thanks

Could the book you are referring to be Daddy's Ties by Shirley Botsford? I made a tie using silk ties with the bow tie pattern. It has over 200 different silk ties in it. Still haven't quilted it. I keep changing my mind about how I want to finish it. I'm thinking about tying it.

GrandmK 01-14-2010 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't baste or pin. I tack it onto a frame that I put on chairs. I will see if I can attach a picture of my mom and I working on a couple

GrandmK 01-14-2010 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We try and stretch them as tight as we can and the "puff" so nice!!!