Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tie quilting

Are there very many quilters out there that finish their quilts by tying or tacking?

I have done some with ties - some patterns just seem to me to be so strong on their own that quilting would take away from it. I like the look, but it's not good for baby quilts. Little fingers get caught.

Depends on the quilt. I just tied a quilt this weekend. It was a very old hand pieced quilt that could not be made square, no matter what.

Blog Entries
    I have tied the centers of some of the larger SID quilted squares. Not really a fan of that method.

south east ND. 60 miles from MN and 25 from SD
    My Mom always told me that if it's tied, it's not really a "quilt", just a pieced top, batting and backing that are tied together. I have done a couple of tied ones but I could tell she wasn't impressed, lol.

I have tied a few utility quilts - I was happy enough with them at the time, but I prefer to quilt them. I tacked one using thread and buttons. The buttons were a nice embelishment and I would do that again if the quilt 'called' for it.

I used to before I got a little confidence to try the hand quilting. My sister (Oklahoma Suzie) ties a lot of hers because her Arthritis forces her to.

Tied quilts are just as much a quilt as a machine or hand quilt is.

I tie all my quilts and they look just fine . Can't afford to have them quilted or a machine to do it myself.

I have tied quilts and I totally agree that a tied quilt is just as much a quilt as a quilted one. My grandmother made quilts, often multiple ones, for every member of the family, every baby that was born, and they were ALL tied.

I have one that I tied because I wasn't going to hand quilt it as it is done on muslin foundation. It's not totally bound yet (has been years) and I think I am going to cut the ties, get new backing, and quilt it on my new long arm.

Blog Entries
    I've tied a couple. Some quilts just tell you what they want. When I tie a quilt I like to use the high loft poly batting.

Definitely tied is just as much a quilt as quilted. I have a few of my grandmothers, some are tied and some are quilted. I love all of them the same.

I did a scrappy with 4 in squares, over 400 of them, and each one from different piece of material. I tied it. And loved the look. It was so colorful, that it didn't need anything else. Just a use around the house quilt, but I enjoyed doing it.

I have never tied a quilt but that's how my grandma did all of hers. They were warm, cuddly and filled with love.

I used to tie all of my quilts, but have been hand or machine quilting them for about 20 years now. I find that my quilts that are quilted stay together better than the tied ones. It could also be due to an improper seam allowance too though... I am a much better quilter now than I used to be! I've learned as I go, and that could be why my quilts stay together better now.

Blog Entries
    20 yrs ago, i tied what quilts i made. i used polester quilting at the time. and the quilts seemed to finish fluffer than quilted ones i do now. more like comforters, at that time. needed the warmth in the drafty old house we were living in. if you do, tie them close. and redo the ties, whenever you notice one is undone.

I have to tie, can't do much quilting because the hands just don't work well anymore. I think they look fine. When doing it this way, you need to make a square knot. It is strong and will not come out.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Tied quilts are just as much a quilt as a machine or hand quilt is.
    they sure are.

My mom differentiated between quilting and tying - she said one was a quilt, and the other a comforter. Regardless, both require love and a lot of effort! :thumbup: All of us children recieved comforters from Grandma as babies - for some of us, the ties became a comfort thing. My sister tended to rub a tie between her fingers. It helped her go to sleep.

I agree about the square knot. They stay in better.

Has anyone discovered how to keep ribbon tied? I used 1/16" ribbon to tie one for my (college age) daughter, and the ties are coming out.

I've tied many more than I've quilted. The majority of my quilts have been lap size and donated to local shelters at the time. I plan on making scrappy and donating them to the local senior home and the fire department. They'll probably be tied.

south east ND. 60 miles from MN and 25 from SD
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    My mom differentiated between quilting and tying - she said one was a quilt, and the other a comforter. Regardless, both require love and a lot of effort! :thumbup: All of us children recieved comforters from Grandma as babies - for some of us, the ties became a comfort thing. My sister tended to rub a tie between her fingers. It helped her go to sleep.

I agree about the square knot. They stay in better.

Has anyone discovered how to keep ribbon tied? I used 1/16" ribbon to tie one for my (college age) daughter, and the ties are coming out.
    That's what Mom said too, that if it's tied, it's a comforter. The sewing through the layers is what makes a quilt a quilt. And like I said, I've tied a few too. I'm sorry that people took my statement as a put-down as that wasn't how I meant it. I can't "quilt" a quilt on my little machine, the throat isn't big enough, that's why I have to either send them off or tie them. I don't have the patience to hand quilt them. I remember all the long hours with Grandma and her neighbors sitting around the quilting frame....

Cande, I didn't take offense to that at all. My grandmother tied some, and quilted some, but her tied ones were my favorite!

I tie all of my quilts too because I can't afford to send them out to be quilted. I think they are wonderful and made with love no matter what what they are finished.

If I tie them I put extra batting and call them comforters. I made 10 for Christmas one year and did them in a very short time. Only two were quilt looking tops, others were whole cloth with a couple of borders on them. I have made about eight biscuit quilts in quilt pattern and those are tied.

Banned
    meeeeeee :thumbup:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast