Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
advice on Flynn quilt frames >

advice on Flynn quilt frames

advice on Flynn quilt frames

Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Red face advice on Flynn quilt frames

I am interested in buying a Flynn Quilt frame & was wanting any advice any of you might have. Do you own one, have you used it , & what is your opinion? Any comments would be appreciated!! Thanks, G-ma Becky
Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM

I watched him use one at a sewing expo and they seem to work quite well for a small space and small quilts.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM

I have one, bought it off Craigslist for like $20, haven't used it yet, still working on my hand stitched GFG hexagon quilt. Sorry, I know this is no help to you.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 AM

i have one of the square versions...i see they are round pipe poles now... i have 2 different length along with the large pvc pipe used to support the long end of the frame while you work with the end under the machine arm. they are wonderful for hand quilting as well, which is how John Flynn says he used his for a long time before putting it under the machine... mine fits beautifully on my rocking chair arms...

the number one benefit as far as I'm concerned is the ability to stand it on end right behind a door or slide it under a bed to store... takes inches and is light enough for anyone to move, when necessary. NO BASTING!!! that's pretty cool, too....and of course, the ability to just purchase more poles and have any length you want...the ends will go back and forth as needed...

Last edited by deemail; 11-15-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 AM

I am thinking of getting one of these so will be watcing this thread for good and bad comments
Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 AM

Have one in the closet. Don't use it. To bad you don't live closer I would give it to you. This one I have is for machine.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Flynn frames have been a topic here many times. Most people either love them or hate them - I think it has to do with whether they spent the time to practice with the frame, because it does take practice. I bought one and used it one time only, so I'm not one of those who spent the time to practice. I used mine with the metal rods extending it out to hold a large quilt, and the rods were so heavy I couldn't do much with the quilt, so I just basted it with water soluble thread and then quilted it on my DSM. (I now have a longarm, but I didn't then.) I didn't keep the frame, because I preferred doing large quilts in sections to trying to maneuver the long heavy rods. However, for a smaller quilt I think it will work very well - if you practice!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM

A friend and I both bought one years ago at a quilt show. I used it once. It took a very long time to set up and figure out what I was doing. I had a small crib quilt that I tried it on. Even a small crib quilt was too big for the frame. I could have quilted it myself a lot faster on my regular sewing machine. After hearing about my experience, my friend has never tried to use hers. Our opinion was that it was a waste of money.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Thank all of you for your replies. I appreciate everyone on here! I learn soo much each time I look here. Thanks again, G-ma Becky
Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I had one and just couldn't get the hang of it. I do more big quilts so it didn't really work for me.