Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Tie quilting

I found this on the internet, it does not say much. What I get from this is that if it's quilted or tied, it's still a quilt.

A quilt is a thick embroidered blanket/comforter, usually in a checkered pattern with raised designs.

A comforter is a thick, quilted, fluffy blanket. Sometimes itís decorated and colored, but with dye, not embroidered like a quilt. It is usually filled with a synthetic fiber filler. It does not need a cover and is made to be the bedspread. It is usually washed when it gets dirty.

A bedspread is a pre-filled bed cover with stuffing to be used as a decorative and warming bed covering. Normally used as the top cover on your bed. Bedspreads do not require a duvet, duvet cover, or a comforter.

A duvet is a comforter that is filled with down feathers. The duvet is usually white, beige or off-white. It should be placed in a duvet cover. It can be made of down or polyfill.

A duvet cover covers a duvet--like a slip on decorator. Most duvets are not decorated and usually people buy duvet covers. Imagine the duvet as a big flat pillow and the duvet cover as a big pillowcase. They keep the down clean and you can change the color of your bed on a momentís whim.

As a duvet has a cover around it, it is usually not washed as it does not get dirty. The duvet cover is put in the laundry as a comforter would be. The fact the duvet is not washed means that natural materials (like down) can be used as insulation, which otherwise could be 'damaged' by laundering.

I have hand quilted some and mostly tied the others...Color coordinate the thread with the quilt and it is beautiful...Yes it is still a QUILT...

I have tied denim quilts because they are too heavy to quilt but usually I hand quilt.

Blog Entries
    one very cute baby quilt that I made had two block patterns, one was a nine patch alternated with a teddy bear applique block. When I quilted it I quilted in the ditch on the nine patch and made a cute tie on the teddy bear and outlined the bear. I really liked the combination. I have also tied out a few of my quilts. I still prefer to hand quilt.

Wow! I never expected to get so many responses to the question of tie quilting. My next question is, do you have to baste a quilt you are going to tie?

Yes, you still have to baste it or pin it before tying it.

Blog Entries
    I don't baste if I'm going to tie. BUT I do tie like I'm basting. I start the same way as basting, but I use a 3 ply yarn. I use a 5" needle. That's how I space my stitches going across and going down. After I have stitch the entire quilt I cut the yarn between and do the square knot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rnjoy
    Just clicked into this site and saw the question about tie quilts...made the mistake that you were blogging about necktie quilts. but that is what I am looking for a pattern for a quilt made from neckties..I am looking for my sister who is also a quilter. She thinks it was from a book called My Fathers Ties but doesn't remember the author. Any ideas out there? thanks
    Could the book you are referring to be Daddy's Ties by Shirley Botsford? I made a tie using silk ties with the bow tie pattern. It has over 200 different silk ties in it. Still haven't quilted it. I keep changing my mind about how I want to finish it. I'm thinking about tying it.

Blog Entries
    I don't baste or pin. I tack it onto a frame that I put on chairs. I will see if I can attach a picture of my mom and I working on a couple
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    We try and stretch them as tight as we can and the "puff" so nice!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to tie most of my quilts and usually use embroidery floss or yarn. I think it makes it more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I've only tied one, a king size. did it with embroidery thread. well first time, that came apart and i had to go back and tie with yarn.
    first one i did, i used crochet yarn. 25 years, still going strong.

My Aunt Em told me when its tied it's a comforter, NOT a quilt. And I never argued, I just snuggled deeper under her "comforters".

I lay my quilts out after finishing them and hubby and I lay out the backing and he helps me to pin them. I am talking queen and king sized quilts

I use a few pins if I'm going to tie the quilt, and I'm not crazy about the look of the yarn... I use crochet cotton, like you'd use to made doilies.... I never cared for the 'fuzzy ' look of the yarn.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Tied quilts are just as much a quilt as a machine or hand quilt is.
    Amen to that!

This jogged a great old memory. My grandmother wanted to give me a gift. This was back in the fifties. 1950's that is And she took me to her bedroom and rolled out a quilt and untied it just enough to reach in and get a piece of white yard goods. She then had me to get the darning needle and put the little threads back in the quilt, she said just keep it flat and follow the holes. When I went to the other room I asked her if that was where she stored all her extras. She said yes, she didnt' have drawers to lay it all flat and she did a lot of hand stitching on men's dress shirts, bibs and tucks, collars and cuffs. She sat there and made me a petticoat (under slip). That was the most precious thing. I kept a piece of it for many years. She told me that oldtimers use to built up their quilts in the winter for warmth. When she passed, we did untie several quilts and found money and small gadgets that I imagine by the time she passed, she'd forgotten them. I even found a birth certificate, long lost. Tieing is important. You might want to redo it. whatcha think?

I love your story mrspete! Tied quilts make the best utility quilts I think....but that is just me...lol!

Blog Entries
    Loved your story. Wish I had some money to hide in my quilts. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mrspete
    When she passed, we did untie several quilts and found money and small gadgets that I imagine by the time she passed, she'd forgotten them. I even found a birth certificate, long lost. Tieing is important. You might want to redo it. whatcha think?
    Wow! What family history you found! And what a way to keep it safe!

thats all I've ever done. would like to learn to hand quilt. But until then I tie.

I tied the first few quilts I made, then I started machine quilting them. Now I'm trying my hand at hand quilting them. I started out on baby quilts until I was confident enough to start on a larger quilt.

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
    deranged_damsel: "my first quilt with triangles is tied and NOBODY will ever know that my points dont match"

Good one!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3