Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tieing a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tieing-quilt-t84974.html)

bakermom 12-25-2010 07:52 AM

I usually use floss with a surgeon's knot but I have also use the stitch for sewing buttons on my machine. Serves the purpose and isn't as noticable.

jlm5419 12-25-2010 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
I usually use floss with a surgeon's knot but I have also use the stitch for sewing buttons on my machine. Serves the purpose and isn't as noticable.

I recently made quilts for 3 of my grandkids. The first I tied using yarn. Then I decided to try bartacks instead of tying. It works great, is faster and easier on the hands.

BonniFeltz 12-25-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419

I recently made quilts for 3 of my grandkids. The first I tied using yarn. Then I decided to try bartacks instead of tying. It works great, is faster and easier on the hands.

bartacks? can you explain that please?

jlm5419 12-25-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz

Originally Posted by jlm5419

bartacks? can you explain that please?

It's just zigzag stitches with very tiny stitch length, like what is used for sewing on buttons.

okiepastor 12-25-2010 09:57 AM

A tip for ties----use a drop of Fray Check on each knot. I have been doing this for 25 years, and it works great.

sew wishful 12-25-2010 10:27 AM

I tie all my quilts. Do you have the old fashioned quilt racks? 4 boards, wrapped in material so you can pin the bottom to them and pull them tightly and clamp? Then add the batting and then the top, pinning each layer either to the boards or the backing. I tie at least according tot he batting directions, but usually to every sewing line intersection, center of block, etc. I tie quilts because my gramma, mom and sisters do. I have a sister who also LAQ. I, too, can't afford the cost of having them long armed, so tieing works for me!

Ritacarl 12-25-2010 10:52 AM

What a wonderful idea. The tumbling block quilt is from scraps and of course many different colors. I have a ga-zillion colors of embroidery floss. So, will use the cordinating color for the block. Oh, thanks so much!! Am anxious now to get to it. Suppose I should get Christmas behind me first. Also, have to make woodpecker food. Then to the quilt. Thanks again.
Rita

Ritacarl 12-25-2010 10:54 AM

No quilting rack. Just the floor. Or bed.
Rita

BonniFeltz 12-25-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
No quilting rack. Just the floor. Or bed.
Rita

I need to get my nephew over to set up a quilting frame for me. I live in an efficiency apartment so it will take up most of that. No room on floors either. It is for twin size but has an attachment for queen size. Hopefully he will get it up before I have to go back to work. LOL.

unkin123 12-25-2010 12:37 PM

before finishing. I tie first in case there is some shifting.