Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tieing a quilt

Blog Entries
    I recently finished a tumbling block quilt top and I wanted to put it all together myself. Course the cost of $200.00 does come into issue. Anywaty, what are some ideas on tieing the quilt together? Do I finish it completely, with binding, before or after tieing? Thanks in advance.
    Rita

Tie it first. I tie many of my quilts. I use Perle embroidery thread. Tie about every 6 inches. Make a double knot.

I use embroidery floss, a small curved needle and I tie about every 2 inches is my personal preference.

Tie it first. Then bind it.

Blog Entries
    I would tie it and then bind it too :D:D:D

Yep, tie then bind. :)

I just finished 2 for DD's. Tie first. I used crochet thread (the kind on the balls used for tablecloths, etc.) Worked great on 2 flannel quilts. Be sure and check batting for maximum distance between stitches.

I just finished my second tied quilt. It was a simple scrappy quilt made from charm packs. I tied it using Pearl cotton in the center of each square - approximately 4.5 inches apart. It is so snuggly!

Can go from one end to the other and check to make sure layers stay tight, or the center out, 4-6 inches apart then bind. Happy Quilting

Tie first....and I've used yarn to tie one that's still going strong after 30 yrs!!!! And if I remember right, I tied it in rows from the top corner....may not be the way everyone recommends, but it worked.

It depends on your batting. The package should recommend max spacing.
    I like to stitch the thread through the quilt TWICE in the same plack, then tie the knot. If it comes untied, the thread is more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by quilting cat
    This is the way I do it. Tie First. But once I did tie it after I put the binding on. I just left the pins in. I check the package for the distance to tie.

Quote Originally Posted by quilting cat
    This is the way I do it. Tie First. But once I did tie it after I put the binding on, it came out just fine. I just left the pins in. I check the package for the distance to tie.

All of my quilts have been tied. Can't afford to send it out to be quilted and my machine can't handle I mostly use embroidery floss and do a double knot, I tied first then binded

I'm pretty new at quilting :-) and I had never heard the expression "tieing a quilt".... :?: The other day I had seen on the quilts this lovely lady from Poland posted pictures off, there were little threads here and there all over the quilt.... is that what you call tieing??? Does that replace the quilting??? Thanks for enlightening me :wink: :lol:

I'm really lazy .... when I make children's quilts I use a simple embroidery design to tack (such as a small heart) rather than tie by hand. At my age this is easier on the arthritic fingers & is sturdy & looks cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfi2
    I'm pretty new at quilting :-) and I had never heard the expression "tieing a quilt".... :?: The other day I had seen on the quilts this lovely lady from Poland posted pictures off, there were little threads here and there all over the quilt.... is that what you call tieing??? Does that replace the quilting??? Thanks for enlightening me :wink: :lol:
    Yes, that is tying and it does replace the need to quilt

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    You can cut the threads shorter than I did (I'm the lady from Poland... :)--am an American living over here--) but you don't have to. They last and last. We double knot with perle cotton or embroidery floss or even yarn, but yarn frays after washing and is harder to put in the quilt because of its thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin
    Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    You can cut the threads shorter than I did (I'm the lady from Poland... :)--am an American living over here--) but you don't have to. They last and last. We double knot with perle cotton or embroidery floss or even yarn, but yarn frays after washing and is harder to put in the quilt because of its thickness.
    My grandmother always tied her quilts and when I used her cross stitched centers, I tied them. One of the advantages of tying is if you ever have to redo one of the blocks or one of the ties, it is easy to do. Match your tying thread to what affect you want to achieve.

Oh yes, just thought I would mention also that in the Nursing home where my mother lives (at 91 years old) they have a group that makes quilts (lap size) and they tie all their quilts. :)

I would tie first, too!

I usually use floss with a surgeon's knot but I have also use the stitch for sewing buttons on my machine. Serves the purpose and isn't as noticable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom
    I usually use floss with a surgeon's knot but I have also use the stitch for sewing buttons on my machine. Serves the purpose and isn't as noticable.
    I recently made quilts for 3 of my grandkids. The first I tied using yarn. Then I decided to try bartacks instead of tying. It works great, is faster and easier on the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419
    I recently made quilts for 3 of my grandkids. The first I tied using yarn. Then I decided to try bartacks instead of tying. It works great, is faster and easier on the hands.
    bartacks? can you explain that please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419
    bartacks? can you explain that please?
    It's just zigzag stitches with very tiny stitch length, like what is used for sewing on buttons.

A tip for ties----use a drop of Fray Check on each knot. I have been doing this for 25 years, and it works great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast