Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is It Time to Replace My Cutting Mat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/time-replace-my-cutting-mat-t175838.html)

Daylesewblessed 01-16-2012 11:54 AM

I would get a new one. You have gotten a lot of use from the old mat, and cutting will be so much easier with a new mat.

humbird 01-16-2012 11:54 AM

There was a thread here on the board awhile back (probably quite awhile!) about rejunivating (SP?) mats. Putting them in the bath tub with water was one way, not sure if it was soaked or not. Maybe you could find the post. I don't know how, but wouldn't mind reading it again.

My mat must be 15 years old. Still working well. I don't use the lines on the mat to cut on however. I line up the fabric on the lines at times, but use the ruler measurments to cut, so am always cutting in a different spot.

icon17 01-16-2012 11:56 AM

I think its time to send it to the cutting board heaven LOL

beatys9 01-16-2012 11:59 AM

Oh my. If three years is an old mat, I am at least a decade overdue... Sounds like we should both get new mats!

dannel 01-16-2012 12:04 PM

Which school supply did you get your mat from?

yngldy 01-16-2012 12:07 PM

Mine is 25 yrs old and still in good condition and I do a lot of cutting. But I put the fabric down where ever, I don't use the same place all the time and sometimes use the back. I don't press hard to cut, just sort of guide it.

Fabriclovr 01-16-2012 12:26 PM

OMG, if your mat is only three years old, you have a bigger problem than just needing a new mat. I have had my mat for over 10 years! It is perm attached to my cutting table and I use if for everything. I have olfa mats that are just about that old and look brand new. I do a lot of quilting and I don't go through a lot of blades, sounds like you are just pressing to hard when you are cutting. I had a friend that could not cut a whole quilt out because her hand would start hurting. I watched her cut one day and she was not only holding her blade wrong, but she was putting her whole body weight into each cut! 2 layers of fabric are not that thick and heavy to need a lot of pressure. She was also cutting at an angle, which was putting groves in her board. She came over and was using my board and left a couple of deep groves in mine after just a couple of cuts.. I am thinking your having the same issues. As they say 'lighten up' on the pressure, get a new board, and a new blade and start fresh with a light hand and see what happens :)

Tartan 01-16-2012 12:33 PM

I have a mat that is over 10 yrars old and I haven't replaced it yet. I don't use the lines on it to measure so I just flipped it over to use the other side. It very well may be time to replace yours because every quilter uses their mat differently or more frequently. Buy yourself a nice new one and save the old one for cutting flannel, fleece or minky. Boy, does that stuff make a mess and stick in the cuts on my self healing mat.

jaciqltznok 01-16-2012 12:51 PM

I have noticed that like all things NEW, they don't last like the old ones..I have mats that are up to 18 years old..and I bought a NEW one and guess what...within the first year I noticed it had grooves worse then my old one!
same company, same rotary blades as always...but it is like it just dissolves when you cut on it!

momto5 01-16-2012 04:08 PM

I would replace it...