Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is It Time to Replace My Cutting Mat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/time-replace-my-cutting-mat-t175838.html)

Canada Kate 01-16-2012 09:43 AM

Is It Time to Replace My Cutting Mat?

I have a 36" x 24" Olfa cutting mat that I've been using for the past three years. It now has grooves worn on the most common lines that I use to cut on - those that are 2.5 inches apart. I've turned the board upside down and worked from the opposite end, but the grooves are everywhere now. I do use the other side (the side without the lines) when I'm squaring up or cutting something that I only need a ruler to measure.

The grooves do not seem to megatively impact the accuracy of my cuts. Is it time for me to get a new mat? If not, what criteria do you use to determine when to replace your mat?

misscarol 01-16-2012 10:05 AM

You will be amazed how easy your cutting becomes with a new mat. Future daughter in law pressed my large mat and warped it so I just got a new one! Oh My Golly! I should have done it a long time ago!!

crafty pat 01-16-2012 10:08 AM

If it were me I would go for a new one.

postal packin' mama 01-16-2012 10:26 AM

Just a thought to consider while you decide about replacement:
If you tend to use the edges more than the central area (and if you're considering replacing it anyway), you might try trimming away those worn areas, leaving the less-worn inner area intact. (May want to renumber the measurement inch designations along the edges.)

paulina 01-16-2012 10:26 AM

Have you tried soaking it? That might help in the meantime.

dharinger 01-16-2012 10:39 AM

My mat got bad to the point where my blades were wearing out a lot faster than usual. As soon as I replaced the mat, my blades starting acting normal.

littlesurfer 01-16-2012 10:45 AM

Time for a new mat!

Learner747 01-16-2012 10:56 AM

I tried washing mine and the next day I saw that it had warped overnight. So I bought a new mat from (are you ready for this?) a school supply site online. It is great and so much less expensive.

ckcowl 01-16-2012 11:03 AM

i would think if you have to push so hard that you leave grooves in your mat you either need to replace your blades more often or definitly switch mats- my 24"x36" mat took almost 10 years before it was faded- kind of needing to be changed out- you really should not have to apply much pressure when cutting with a rotory cutter- and you should never use a knife or other tool on a cutting mat- they are made for rotory cutters- anything else will damage the mat- once there is signs of damage it is time to change it out- for safety sake.
i would cut it into smaller (good areas) mats to have other sizes & still be able to use the areas that have not worn out.- soaking a mat would ruin it- they are not supposed to be submerged in water- you can clean them with a soft cloth- and there is a tool (like a sanding disk with a handle) you can use to smooth worn mats and make them last a bit longer.

paulina 01-16-2012 11:20 AM

Many people have success with soaking them. Some don't. Everyone's experience is different.