Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   tiny strings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tiny-strings-t233892.html)

toverly 11-03-2013 11:49 AM

What pattern are you making? (If that is not being too nosy) I'd love to only have a few strings left after cutting fat quarters, that would be ideal.

ManiacQuilter2 11-03-2013 12:13 PM

I would NOT have cut the top row of fabrics. There are always quilters that do charity quilts and those looked like some very nice fabrics. I would have kept the smaller stack on the left and the right for using to start and end stitching then when full, you toss them out. The tiny squares I would have said Adios to......

Daylesewblessed 11-03-2013 04:16 PM

Our quilt guild meets in an "arts and garden center" owned by the city. In the summer, they hold art classes for children and have asked the guild for small fabric scraps.

carolaug 11-03-2013 06:09 PM

I am meking the falling charms but made a few changes...my center square will be 6 1/2 inch not 5 inc and the strips are 2 inch not 2 and 1/2 inch. I also fut up 3 x 6 1/2 inch for the outside border. I also cut up 2 and half x 6 which will be for the binding one I sew them all together. with the small amounts left I cut up 2 inch squares for a pillow sham or maybe a table runner for the dresser. I am making a king size and looks like I make have to cut some more squares Thank goodness for a large stash....though I do have to go back to the quilt shop for more border fabric.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6384695)
I would NOT have cut the top row of fabrics. There are always quilters that do charity quilts and those looked like some very nice fabrics. I would have kept the smaller stack on the left and the right for using to start and end stitching then when full, you toss them out. The tiny squares I would have said Adios to......

AliKat 11-03-2013 09:51 PM

A group of us collect those trimmings to put in pet beds for the humane shelter. I use ticking for the bed cover.

Gay 11-03-2013 11:31 PM

Why not have a go at a confetti wall hanging. I can see some lovely tropical rainforest trees and ferns in those colours.

Gay 11-04-2013 12:04 AM

oops! Just googled confetti quilts and showed something totally different. :eek: Think of Monet's bridge painting - sketch a landscape outline onto fusible backing -or cotton fabric and spray with adhesive - cut strings into 1/4" or so bits, arrange [sprinkle] into positions to create a picture - press with iron to set, then use quilting or hopping foot with same-coloured threads, and meander all over to hold in place. I've seen some fabulous fabric art done like this.

sweetana3 11-04-2013 04:06 AM

A really beautiful art project can be made with scraps like you have between two sheets of soluble stabilizer. You put all the scraps and any leftover threads, yarns, etc. inside completely covering the stabilizer and then quilt/sew all over the top back and forth until the quilting is completely covering the scraps to hold them in place.

When you gently wash out the stabilizer, you have a very interesting piece of new material for another project. Batiks are great for this since they do not have a distinct wrong side.

Krystyna 11-04-2013 05:36 AM

Take a look at the work of Anne Brauer - it might change your mind about those strings!

toverly 11-04-2013 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 6385279)
I am meking the falling charms but made a few changes...my center square will be 6 1/2 inch not 5 inc and the strips are 2 inch not 2 and 1/2 inch. I also fut up 3 x 6 1/2 inch for the outside border. I also cut up 2 and half x 6 which will be for the binding one I sew them all together. with the small amounts left I cut up 2 inch squares for a pillow sham or maybe a table runner for the dresser. I am making a king size and looks like I make have to cut some more squares Thank goodness for a large stash....though I do have to go back to the quilt shop for more border fabric.

Thanks, I have a fat quarter set, I just can't seem to find a pattern I want to work it into. Though, I am itching to do something with it. Falling charms is a good one, I like the way you altered the size to fit the fat quarter. Thanks for the idea.