Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tiny strings

Blog Entries

tiny strings

Name:  cutting done.jpg
Views: 3746
Size:  148.2 KBName:  small scraps.jpg
Views: 3726
Size:  118.2 KB
    I finished cutting up all of my fat qtrs for my quilt and this time I decided to cut up everything instead of throwing scraps in the bucket...in the bag is my left over scraps small strings. Now what to do with them. I don't think I want to make anything...wonder if the schools would be interested in them for the art classes?

I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Snippets have to be fused before cutting or you have a mess. Unless you want to use the strings for stuffing the best thing is to toss them randomly outside for the birds and squirrels to use.
    Got fabric?

Use them to make dog beds or give them to someone who does

Banned
    Check with your school they may be able to use them. At one quilt event there was a class making bracelets by wrapping strings around wire. Another had small looms making purces. So there is a use for them.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't toss them outside. Fabric used in birds' nests does not dry out fast enough (the way dried sticks and weeds do) and causes pneumonia and death in the chicks.

oops, you're right. I forgot about that.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I cut them into a bit smaller lengths and use them as mulch in my perennial bed.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I read about the fabric not good for birds and then I read it is okay. I guess it's better to be on the safe side.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I've seen a lot of websites that say to put fabric strings out. However, someone who worked with professional ornithologists posted on the QB years ago with a plea not to do it. Since then I've found a few corroborating websites, but still many that seem to have never heard of this issue. Since the reasoning seems sound, I'm for playing it safe.

What pattern are you making? (If that is not being too nosy) I'd love to only have a few strings left after cutting fat quarters, that would be ideal.

I would NOT have cut the top row of fabrics. There are always quilters that do charity quilts and those looked like some very nice fabrics. I would have kept the smaller stack on the left and the right for using to start and end stitching then when full, you toss them out. The tiny squares I would have said Adios to......
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Our quilt guild meets in an "arts and garden center" owned by the city. In the summer, they hold art classes for children and have asked the guild for small fabric scraps.

Blog Entries
    I am meking the falling charms but made a few changes...my center square will be 6 1/2 inch not 5 inc and the strips are 2 inch not 2 and 1/2 inch. I also fut up 3 x 6 1/2 inch for the outside border. I also cut up 2 and half x 6 which will be for the binding one I sew them all together. with the small amounts left I cut up 2 inch squares for a pillow sham or maybe a table runner for the dresser. I am making a king size and looks like I make have to cut some more squares Thank goodness for a large stash....though I do have to go back to the quilt shop for more border fabric.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I would NOT have cut the top row of fabrics. There are always quilters that do charity quilts and those looked like some very nice fabrics. I would have kept the smaller stack on the left and the right for using to start and end stitching then when full, you toss them out. The tiny squares I would have said Adios to......
    Last edited by carolaug; 11-03-2013 at 06:12 PM.

A group of us collect those trimmings to put in pet beds for the humane shelter. I use ticking for the bed cover.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Why not have a go at a confetti wall hanging. I can see some lovely tropical rainforest trees and ferns in those colours.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    oops! Just googled confetti quilts and showed something totally different. Think of Monet's bridge painting - sketch a landscape outline onto fusible backing -or cotton fabric and spray with adhesive - cut strings into 1/4" or so bits, arrange [sprinkle] into positions to create a picture - press with iron to set, then use quilting or hopping foot with same-coloured threads, and meander all over to hold in place. I've seen some fabulous fabric art done like this.

A really beautiful art project can be made with scraps like you have between two sheets of soluble stabilizer. You put all the scraps and any leftover threads, yarns, etc. inside completely covering the stabilizer and then quilt/sew all over the top back and forth until the quilting is completely covering the scraps to hold them in place.

When you gently wash out the stabilizer, you have a very interesting piece of new material for another project. Batiks are great for this since they do not have a distinct wrong side.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at the work of Anne Brauer - it might change your mind about those strings!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I am meking the falling charms but made a few changes...my center square will be 6 1/2 inch not 5 inc and the strips are 2 inch not 2 and 1/2 inch. I also fut up 3 x 6 1/2 inch for the outside border. I also cut up 2 and half x 6 which will be for the binding one I sew them all together. with the small amounts left I cut up 2 inch squares for a pillow sham or maybe a table runner for the dresser. I am making a king size and looks like I make have to cut some more squares Thank goodness for a large stash....though I do have to go back to the quilt shop for more border fabric.

Thanks, I have a fat quarter set, I just can't seem to find a pattern I want to work it into. Though, I am itching to do something with it. Falling charms is a good one, I like the way you altered the size to fit the fat quarter. Thanks for the idea.

As a former school teacher and preschool director, please ask the art teacher first. I know folks have big hearts and want to donate to schools and most of the time these donations are much appreciated but ask if the teacher can use your scrap donation. If they cannot use it the donation will end up in the trash or stuffed in a cupboard for years and that is not what you want.

You may ask around your area or local quilt guilds too if any one can use your wee bitty scraps. I know we have someone who makes dog bed outs of scraps of batting. Never even considered that until she mentioned it in class one evening. There may be a secret user of small scraps just an arm length away.

Call your local animal shelter. A bunch of us save all those "snippets" and batting scraps. Once a year get together to sew up pillows for the shelter.

I think it was a couple of years ago I read where someone took a bunch of threads, put them between 2 layers of water soluble stabilizer and just stitched in a crazy manner all over the threads to connect them. Then she dissolved the stabilizer and made a vest or something with it as right now I can't recall what it was but I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with the small strings. Maybe use a fabric behind it to give it stability.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

You could buy some of the clear plastic or glass ornaments available at craft stores and fill them with little tiny pieces. That's what I'm planning to do with my embroidery thread scraps. I figure it will make an appropriate ornament for a quilter/embroiderer.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I give my scraps to a school so the kids can make collages from them! The teacher is only to glad to accept them.
    Sheena

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast