Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: tiny strings

Power Poster
    I've seen some quilters use them as stuffing for small items -like pin cushions. Just a thought.

If they are long enough, how about crocheting a bag? I have a pattern for a crochet (or knitting..I forget!) Christmas stocking. They also might be used for locker hooking a rug. I have piles for scrap quilting/leaders and enders/strips/ strings and finally they end up in the dog bed pile! My quilty friends bring me THEIR scraps (you might get as crazy as me and go thru THEIR scraps...some of that stuff is big enought to cut!) and once in awhile, I make dog beds. I think there have been upwards of 300 made from all scraps generated. My local shelter says that sometimes they give a bed to the new family. (I LOVE that part! http://bzyqltr.blogspot.com/search?q=locker+hooking
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My niece is only eight and I give the snippets/thinner scraps to her. She's been practicing with her hand stitching at home. When she comes to my house, she'll bring her "stringies" as she likes to call them and see if she can match up to other pieces. She has resorted to using her little fingers as measurements. The strings that she thinks are too small she knots up and braids and has her mom press and makes coasters. Her pinky finger is about a 1/4" wide. She's very clever and uses that as her 1/4" seam allowance.

pw6
    make potholders, placemats, Christmas gifts, purses, almost anything and Great for paper piecing .
    this quilt is made from scraps .Name:  emb quilt and diamond jubilee quilt paper pieced 005.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  779.0 KB

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    honestly, please consider stuffing something like a simple "pillowcase" shape for an animal shelter. concrete floors are cold on animals there who may have been rescued from even worse circumstances and just need a safe place to get warm.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    wish we had a "like" button! I do them also. Ohio gets cold too. it was 27 degrees when I got up at 6:30 this morn.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyHanaDa View Post
    Call your local animal shelter. A bunch of us save all those "snippets" and batting scraps. Once a year get together to sew up pillows for the shelter.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
    honestly, please consider stuffing something like a simple "pillowcase" shape for an animal shelter. concrete floors are cold on animals there who may have been rescued from even worse circumstances and just need a safe place to get warm.
    That's what we do with scraps in our guild. We make pet beds and donate them to the local shelters.

I save all my little snippets and give them to a lady who makes dog beds for the Humane Society. I am not filling landfills and every smidgen goes to a use. I just hang a bag on my cutting table and everything goes in it. Maybe someone does this in your area. Your local Humane Society could probably tell you. At the price of fabrics, we do need to find a use for every inch.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm saving some to use instead of ribbon for Christmas gifts--not sure it will work well, but figured a good way to use up some fabric scaps and be a little recyling!

If you have a wood stove or fireplace, burn your 100% cotton strings. I use a lot of my scraps instead of paper to get my fires started in my wood stove. (Not needed/do not use in pellet stoves to start fire).

I like the idea of making pet beds with the scraps.

Anita
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Regarding fabric and birds ...

Another reason not to give fabric scraps to birds is that they'll re-arrange the scraps over and over when they build their nests, and in the process, some of the strings will fray. The frayed strings can easily get tangled around the birds' legs, especially small birds, whose legs are the size of toothpicks. I used to have finches, and found this out the hard way. Thankfully I found the bird in time and untangled her leg. Whew! Had I not found the problem, the thread could have cut the circulation off, and her leg and foot would have died. Birds can be so fragile, especially tiny ones who don't have enough strength to break the thread and get it off their leg.

Personally, I wouldn't chance it, but if you do decide to let the birds have the scraps, cut them into 1" or smaller bits to help eliminate the possibility of threads getting tangled around their legs.
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

Blog Entries
    I safe mine and give to a friend who makes pillows that she takes to the dog pound for the animals.
    TxCaRose

Wow, I'll never look at a "string" the same way again. Just looked at that Anne Bauer site - and that lady has patience!! She doesn't command a simple price either, but the work involved. :-)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

They can but cut into small pieces and put in a doggie pillow and delivered to a local pet rescue. We do that in our guild.

Blog Entries
    They look perfect for a spiderweb or string quilt. With those batiks it would look awesome.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

take a rotary cutter, slice them up, take a piece of water solvable stabilizer, spray with some basting spray, spread your scrapes pretty evenly over it. cover with some tulle (black is wonderful) put another piece of solvable stabilizer over it and stipple. you now have some wonderful fabric.

My quilting buddy saves all of these to make dog pillows. Keep cutting, keep saving.

I saw a lady who used all of those for texture on landscape quilts for the trees and grass. There was some kind of powder she sprinkled on to make them stick.

I would either call the school, or see if anyone nearby makes the dog beds for the Humane society... usually not much more than a "pillow case" filled with scraps to give the animals a place to lay that isn't a concrete floor

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Take a look at the work of Anne Brauer - it might change your mind about those strings!
    Wow Krystyna, that's beautiful work, however, question. It doesn't seem that any are actually quilted? Am I wrong?

I give my scraps to a school for art work!
    Sheena

Blog Entries
    I took a class that uses small pieces to make new fabric...they place them on pellon/iron/then sew - they can be used pillows/bags - what a cool idea!

Question: how about the lint from clothes dryer....is that good for birds to use in their nests? Just wondering

Blog Entries
    You could make long door draft stoppers for yourself or as Christmas presents. They are really cute as cats or mouse etc. This board is So green and thrifty! Recycle it all!

Blog Entries
    I just saw this idea...making cat and dog beds with old sweaters and scraps for the filling. http://www.elizabethskitchendiary.co...r-cat-bed.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2